Free standing pillar 2.5 metre high.How thick and strenghten

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want a pillar which is going to be 2.5 metre high and will be free standing.

What method should a brickie adopt when he builds it.Is it going to be a day's job.I have read that pillar of this height need considerable footings and rebar.

Please advice,as the brickie I have approached has said that I need to get this calculated through the structural engineer.The pillar will only have a roof load on it.It will not be tied to the brick work vertically using starter kit.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I want a pillar which is going to be 2.5 metre high and will be free standing.

The pillar won't be free standing when it takes up the roof load. It might be an idea to build in a bent strap which can be left protruding beyond the top of the pillar for any future roof connections.

What method should a brickie adopt when he builds it.I have read that pillar of this height need considerable footings and rebar.
A pilar foundation is just a pillar foundation unless it is carrying an unusual load, which I suspect yours is.
The last one we built (which carried structural steel beams) had a huge lump of foundation concrete beneath (3/4m³) and was designed by an S.E.
The brickie will need to either build it solid or fill it with concrete. Probably.

The pillar will only have a roof load on it.
Is that all!

Is it going to be a day's job.
Does it matter? Do you want a quality job or a rushed job for such an important item. If he builds it alone than it could take more than a day, bearing in mind that he will have to trestle all the way around the pillar and mebbe fill it with concrete.

Thanks noseall. Which is more stronger a solid one,or a concrete filled one.
In other words which one offers more resistance against knocks.

If i ask you that demolish a solid 13"brick pillar which will the one easier to knock. Thanks.

Rebar out of the footing and continuing up through the pier centre then filled with concrete would be a common choice.

But as said you really need to get it spec'd be an engineer, i would imagine building control would be keen to see some calcs too.

Sponsored Links
If a pillar needed to resist impact from a gate slamming or indeed the the swinging of a gate acting upon it, then I would consider having rebar in the concrete and continuing up through the pillar.

However yours seems to be taking downward thrust only. The pillar would benefit from being filled solid with concrete and built from decent muck and crush resistant masonry.

Your S.E. will have a specification in mind when he designs the pillar.

If you think a vehicle may collide with it you could always replace the pillar with an upright steel beam, then build bricks around it for protection/aesthetics.

That's what they have around the building opposite our office, and the bricks are constantly getting smashed into by reversing wagons. Thank god the steel is inside.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back