Brick store ventilation and moisture control

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a brick garden store, approx 4’ x 10’ that is very damp; I had the roof replaced a while ago, so it’s penetrating rather than leaking. There is currently no ventilation. I’m thinking I probably need to install air bricks at either end to get a through flow of air, but have read conflicting advice on the height to install those - any thoughts? Also, should I be considering some kind of coating for the (brick) floor and/or walls? Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
almost certainly it has a damp floor, with no DPM, so water vapour will always enter. Do not put anything on the floor that can be damaged by damp. Water will accumulate under anything on the floor, so, quite likely, for example, a metal can will rust through the bottom. You can use plastic racking or shelving units to lift things. off the floor. Do not put down a wooden floor as it will rot. If you want to you can lay a new floor with a DPM if it's worth the effort.

look at the walls for damp patches, post pics, to try to identify the source of water.

Water vapour is lighter than air so it will rise towards the ceiling, so high vents on at least two sides will help it blow out.

Check that you have gutters and downpipes taking water well away or it will make the ground by and under the shed unnecessarily damp.

almost certainly it has a damp floor, with no DPM, so water vapour will always enter. Do not put anything on the floor that can be damaged by damp. Water will accumulate under anything on the floor, so, quite likely, for example, a metal can will rust through the bottom. You can use plastic racking or shelving units to lift things. off the floor. Do not put down a wooden floor as it will rot. If you want to you can lay a new floor with a DPM if it's worth the effort.

look at the walls for damp patches, post pics, to try to identify the source of water.

Water vapour is lighter than air so it will rise towards the ceiling, so high vents on at least two sides will help it blow out.

Check that you have gutters and downpipes taking water well away or it will make the ground by and under the shed unnecessarily damp.
Thanks John - very helpful.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back