Brick vent only in outer wall

C

Coniferman

Recently had a survey for cavity wall insulation. We were both a bit confused with the fact that I have two vents in the outer brick but they do not go through to the inside. Are they to air the cavity? Is this normal? Early 80's house. No evidence that they have ever gone to the inside but been blocked off.

Sponsored Links
Are you in a location susceptable to radon or methane gas or on land fill?

Nope. Nothing I know of and nothing in the home check.

Does it seem a bit strange then?

I've researched a bit more and it seems they were used for a while to air the cavity but not found to be particularly worthwhile. I'm sure the CWI installers will be able to block them up somehow??!

Sponsored Links
The concept of a ventilated cavity is pre 1950's and unless yours is of non-traditional construction, then a 1980's house should not have a ventilated cavity.

Either the liners have been left out, or the construction requires ventilated cavities. If the latter, you want a guarantee from the installers that insualtion will not have any adverse effects

They've prolly been bricked up inside as they are cold.

I wonder if the vents could be "weep holes"? They are sometimes put into outside walls to allow water to escape/weep from the cavity. For example if the roof is leaking.

ok further investigations have shown - they are both just below ground floor ceiling level. One in the kitchen - the inside is covered with a kitchen unit. Surprise surprise two screws at the location of the vent are "not present". I stuck a metal wire through the outside vent and it went in about 11 inches. About the width of the wall. The other vent should come out into a cupboard in the hall. There are no signs of it being covered up - looks like the original plaster - no hollow sounding sections. slightly difficult access from outside so cannot "stick metal wire though" at this time. The plaster around the outside vents APPEAR to either be original or a VERY good match. The kitchen vent would APPEAR to be sleeved again judging by the metal wire but am not 100 %.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back