Brick wall repair

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am trying to sell my house. The front garden boundaries are a bit of a mess and could do with a re-paint. They have been painted white at some point, but this looks quite messy now. Most can just be re-painted. The house is a terrace built around 1900. It has concrete lintels on the windows and the paint is messy/peeling. I guess the best thing with this is to strip it right back and re-paint? Is there something that would need to seal the concrete before painting?

My main concern is the wall between our two houses. There were some trees here in the past and I think they may have sucked the moisture from the brick. The result is seen in the pictures. The bricks still feel solid but obviously some has fallen away, layers of painted stuff are also peeling. What are my options here? I guess the best thing would be to demolish and re-build but do I have any other options? Money is a factor as I'm trying to move so don't want to spend too much on this. Could the wall be reduced to the lower courses and then a wooden fence installed? Or could the brick work be 'skimmed' in anyway?

I'm not sure what is best/feasible?

Thanks

Attachments

• 20180514_165240.jpg
    20180514_165240.jpg
    415.4 KB · Views: 174
  • 20180514_165245.jpg
    20180514_165245.jpg
    443.6 KB · Views: 182
  • 20180514_165257.jpg
    20180514_165257.jpg
    491.3 KB · Views: 153
Sponsored Links
Could you buy some planters and put in some suitably tall plants :)

Buy some you like and take em with you.

Or buy some close boarded trellis and fix in front, with a few pots

I cant see it being worth the effort of making it better, thats a lot of work, for some one elses gain.

I didn't think about that, sounds a good idea. I've just been looking at trellis and will get the mother-in-law on plant duty.
Thanks a lot.

Sponsored Links
And don't go mad stripping paint off the concrete lintels & sills. Paint scraper and stiff brush to shift the loose then couple of coats of masonry paint & they'll look lovely.

Thanks for that. Does any existing paint surface that I will be painting over need rubbing down to give a 'key' or would running over it with a wire brush be enough?

My weekend ahead is planned...:rolleyes:

All done. I painted all lintels too, fed up of climbing ladders! Thanks for all the advice.

Attachments

• 20180520_154940.jpg
    20180520_154940.jpg
    411.3 KB · Views: 116

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back