Painting exterior brick work

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I'm just about to start painting some exterior brickwork. (I live in a circa 1900 terraced house with yellow brick) The exterior was previously painted white and has been flaking and starting to crack and peel off for a while. I have removed what i can exposing some brick but mainly the paint if still on. With this in mind should i use a primer or am i OK to go straight on with a masonry paint like Dulux Weathershield masonry paint smooth? Some of the pointing has come loose so will need to repair that also before painting.

Any tips or advise would be appreciated.

Thanks

clx

Sponsored Links
As you say it needs some repointing then this has obviously got to be attended to before even thinking about painting.

Secondly, at this time of year, and with the wet weather we have been having, it would be foolish to even try to paint brickwork. It needs to be as dry as possible otherwise what you do now will begin to peel/flake before the year is out. Best wait till we have had a good spell of dry weather during the spring and the sun has warmed the brickwork up. Does the wall get much sun during the spring/summer? If not you will need to let it dry out as long as possible.

If the paint on there now is flaking/peeling do you know how long ago it was last done? This will give you an idea of what you may be facing. If you scrape off all the loose stuff I would then advise using a stabiliser to help the remaining paint from flaking. To make a good worthwhile job it would probably be prudent to undercoat it first as well.

Thanks for the feedback.
The wall will get a fair bit of sun (when it comes out!).
I've had the house for just over 3 years and the paint wasn't great at the time of purchase so would say its a fairly old paint job.
Is it ok to apply the stabiliser solution (something like http://dulux.trade-decorating.co.uk/products/info/dulux_trade_weathershield_stabilising_primer.jsp) onto both brickwork that is bare and brickwork that is painted. Will the product mentioned act as a primer too negating the need to use a separate primer, a kind of all in one job?

Sponsored Links
It would appear to be that you can paint it onto painted/flaky areas and also bare masonry as it is a stabiliser and a primer.

Make sure the wall is thoroughly dry first though and don't over brush it to make it go further, this will defeat the whole object of it being a primer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back