Exterior paint over expanding foam

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know, it doesn’t sound good, but stay with me…
Had to fill a couple of gaps at the apex of the gabel end of my dad’s house, some of which I bricked up, but some were pretty small - gap between barge board and the gable brickwork.
So I’ve foamed some of it - I want to paint the foam with some kind of exterior paint -gloss?
Can I do this and if so, any steer on whether I need to prime the foam after doing my best to sand it smooth ish?

Pretty sure the foam isn’t very UV stable so very keen to paint it with something.

Sponsored Links
Fast setting exterior filler.

Or how about a coloured mastic if it needs to match bricks and apply with a trowel or filler knife, wetted.

Yes, gouge it back a bit. Are you trying to fill unpainted brickwork?

Sponsored Links
Yeah. The top bricks, which aren’t cut to the roof line as there’s a barge board and soffit, are missing in places. Almost like they’ve never been there, or they’ve been pushed inside the building. Have managed to bed and point the odd cut brick in, but the smaller (triangular) gaps I’ve had to foam. 3 stories up, so not massively bothered about how it looks, but wanted to give the foam a bit of protection, with paint or filler etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back