Brick Work - Flaking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Someone please help :)

I have a late 1970s house, the brickwork I thought was honey coloured sandstone, however; it is flaking and wearing away to reveal a grey type uniform looking brick underneath. I have had cosmetic brickwork businesses out to restore or give advice to how to fix and prevent further damage but no one seems to have any answers or be able to help remedy the problem.

Is it possible the brick was coated with a layer of sandstone which simply is not made to last? And how would I improve the asthetics of the brick work. Additionally, the house needs repointing and in between the brick a really grainy - almost small stones have been used.

Please see photos and any help appreciated

Attachments

• IMG_8650.jpeg
    IMG_8650.jpeg
    706.5 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_8649.jpeg
    IMG_8649.jpeg
    635.5 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_8648.jpeg
    IMG_8648.jpeg
    584.8 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_8647.jpeg
    IMG_8647.jpeg
    947.7 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_8645.jpeg
    IMG_8645.jpeg
    869.2 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_8644.jpeg
    IMG_8644.jpeg
    762.7 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_8643.jpeg
    IMG_8643.jpeg
    744.1 KB · Views: 35
Sponsored Links
It's reconstituted stone, not brick. These are made by mixing up and compressing lots of stone fragments with a binder to form what look like blocks of natural stone. It looks like only the face was actual yellow sandstone, and this has experienced contour scaling from what could be one or several reasons.

I'm surprised your cosmetic brickwork business could not advise, as the only way to get this back to yellow would be to dye them - if that is, they can be dyed.

Does it actually need repointing? Mortar that is too hard can be one of the causes of this type of damage.

Thanks woody. Appreciated. Yes it most definitely does need repointing too, unfortunately.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back