Bricking up a door, and putting in a new one...Mmmm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
TWO PARTER.....

Hi all, I need to brick up my side door to the house.... its never used, it gives access to outside from Kitchen. We have a front door and a Patio door to the rear...the idea is to make the kitchen more usable...

Im hopefull I can just pull out the door and brick it up???

Anyone know if it needs aproval?

Then....

the door im taking out, is going to be installed into my single brick built garage, I know i need a lintle, but should i knock out the bricks, fit lintle, then door? or should i knock out enough brick to fit the lintle then cut out the other bricks then fit the door?
Again will this need aproval?

Cheers....

Sponsored Links
MasterAbacus said:
the door im taking out, is going to be installed into my single brick built garage, I know i need a lintle, but should i knock out the bricks, fit lintle, then door? or should i knock out enough brick to fit the lintle then cut out the other bricks then fit the door?
Again will this need aproval?
The lintel should goes in first and if I remember rightly the garage floor floor level have to be 100mm lower with a fire door, best to give the BCO a call.

you can fit the lintel prior to knock out or after, but safety says, fit the lintel first.

the opening is narrow by building standards (925mm for a 2'-9" door) so little chance of any collapse. just make sure there aren't any floor joists resting on top, if there are you can prop with an acro or even a length of timber, say 4x2".

you will need to install a self-closing fire door and frame and don't forget the intumescent strips.

i think b.c. may want to take a peak but ring your l.a. to make sure.

Sponsored Links
MasterAbacus said:
ok, thanks for that, but what about the removal of door?

rip out the door and frame, tooth out the bricks either side and brick her up. no need for b.c. just remember to insulate the cavity, fit tie wires and to lay dpc where necessary.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back