Bricking up fireplace/lintel info

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 1960s house and this is the chimney and fireplace (existing fire is gas).

I removed some of the brickwork in front of the fire which I understood to be decorative, under the advice of a wood burner installer. As the plan was to install a wood burner. But our fireplace is quite complicated therefore installation costs are expensive and we have decided that it's a bit out of reach budget wise.

My question is does the bottom lintel actually do anything? It's only 60mm in thickness. As you can see there is another lintel above and the chimney stack goes back into the room behind to a depth of 450mm. At one point I had removed the brick pier on the left underneath the lintel as it was fine, but I thoight it would be best to quickly brick it back up.

Basically we are now building a frame to fit an electric fire and TV above, so we need to remove the bricks at the bottom beneath the lintel and redbrick up the fireplace opening so that it is flat. Is it safe to remove the brick piers either side to do this??

c5YLd6Z.jpg

3a79HKV.jpg

Sponsored Links
The bottom lintel looks like it’s supporting at least the lintel and mantelpiece course above it, so yeah I’d say it’s doing something. Not sure how the breast is tied in but likely to be supporting that too I’d say. So I’d be careful assuming ‘decorative’ unlesss I’ve missed something. The 60mm width thing, ie the lintel fitted on-edge, is likely to be deliberate to help draw the smoke back and up, rather than into the room.

Its a non-traditional flue and chimney breast, of course, possibly pre-fabricated.
Most of what you are showing is decorative brickwork
and in-fill in the fireplace opening.
There are what look like soot marks on the fire back suggesting that there has been a solid fuel fire at one time?
Best practice before attempting anything else would be to sweep, smoke test and camera the flue and check the condition of the flue terminal.
Looking at the c/breast in the loft would give you an idea of the construction.

Sponsored Links
Calm down benny . The O.P is getting a gas TV.(y) bob-AKA ted - Gas Safe Hetas et.al. I wouldn't trust him with a box of Swan Vestas:ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
The bottom lintel looks like it’s supporting at least the lintel and mantelpiece course above it, so yeah I’d say it’s doing something. Not sure how the breast is tied in but likely to be supporting that too I’d say. So I’d be careful assuming ‘decorative’ unlesss I’ve missed something. The 60mm width thing, ie the lintel fitted on-edge, is likely to be deliberate to help draw the smoke back and up, rather than into the room.

Ahh I see. OK, would you say I could build a brick pier in the centre (between the existing brick piers that support the lower lintel) to support the lower lintel while removing/rebuilding the piers either side?

Its a non-traditional flue and chimney breast, of course, possibly pre-fabricated.
Most of what you are showing is decorative brickwork
and in-fill in the fireplace opening.
There are what look like soot marks on the fire back suggesting that there has been a solid fuel fire at one time?
Best practice before attempting anything else would be to sweep, smoke test and camera the flue and check the condition of the flue terminal.
Looking at the c/breast in the loft would give you an idea of the construction.
Thanks for the reply but I'm looking to brick up the opening not put a new fire in. Going to put framework in for a electric fire.

What are you trying to do, remove the two lintels? I think they support the front of the visible chimney breast, rather than just the mantelpiece course. You might need to remove some of that lovely artex to find out. And if so likely to be a strongboy further up job

What are you trying to do, remove the two lintels? I think they support the front of the visible chimney breast, rather than just the mantelpiece course. You might need to remove some of that lovely artex to find out. And if so likely to be a strongboy further up job
No not at all. Imagine the wall was flat from left to right. Then we built a studwork frame in front for a TV and electric fire, that's it.

The reason I'm talking about removing bricks at the bottom is they protrude into the area where the studwork frame would be built. But I realise they probably need to be there to support the lower lintel. So I was going to rebuild them so they are flush with the lower lintel.

The bricks that are the furthest forward can be smashed out, they’re not supporting anything. bolster chisel to break the headers (ie the ones that run into the skin behind where the lintel is)

The bricks that are the furthest forward can be smashed out, they’re not supporting anything. bolster chisel to break the headers (ie the ones that run into the skin behind where the lintel is)

Right, so the ones furtherest forward as tied into the ones supporting the lower lintel. So you reckon just bolster chisel down from the top to break them away from the brick pillars that are flush with the lower lintel? If so that solves all my issues!!

kevinsmbuk,
the reasoning behind always doing a thorough job is that though you know how things stand now - but any later house owner might attempt to install an unsuitable appliance without any checks.
Belt & braces due diligence is a must for professionals but definitely worth thinking about for a DIY'er.
Good luck with your project.

Last edited:
Right, so the ones furtherest forward as tied into the ones supporting the lower lintel. So you reckon just bolster chisel down from the top to break them away from the brick pillars that are flush with the lower lintel? If so that solves all my issues!!
(y)

Done. Do you think I should remove the gas fire coal tray in the middle and brick up under the lintel for additional support?

jGtjUac.jpg

wKt4387.jpg

zMwPbi8.jpg

JwqsVhh.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back