Bricking up food hatch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all!

This is a bit of a newbie question so please be kind...

I have a food hatch 1.5 ft x 3 ft which I plan to brick up.

The surrounding wall is of standard single brick construction and has bonding coat and finishing plaster on both sides.

My gut feeling is that when the bricks are laid and the mortar is set with morter packed into the ragged sides and top and with bonding coat applied both sides it will be rock solid.

However, have I got this wrong?...do I need to 'tooth in' the bricks by removing extra half bricks either side or do something else?

Any guidance would be much appreciated!

Thanks very much

Oliver

Sponsored Links
On the basis that the infill isn't structural why not just rig a simple wooden partition framework, cover each side with plasterboard and skim over to match the existing plaster.

Thanks for replying, Jackrae.

I did think about that as it's not a structural issue, but thought it might be better to brick.

The hatch was put in some time in the distant past before I bought the place, I thought it might be better to restore it to it's original construction?

Also, would brick offer better sound and heat insulation?

Thanks

Oliver

In my experience if you put a wooden stud wall within brickwork you will eventually get cracking, regardless how well your wooden studs are affixed.

I'd therefore use bricks.

Sponsored Links
As it's only 6 courses of brickwork it shouldn't move, but you can stick a frame cramp on each side, or even drive a few cut nails into some of the joints.

Thanks loply and stuart45.

I think frame cramps are the way to go, would 2 or 3 equally spaced on either side be ott?

I guess that it does not matter that the bricks they will be attached to are rather ragged and are varying distances from the vertical?

Excuse the daft questions :)

Thanks

Oliver

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back