Bricks upside down in Fireplace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have made my fireplace recess bigger by taking several bricks off in order to be able to accomodate a woodburner. I have noticed that some bricks are laid upside down without mortar inside the bricks or not much mortar around those bricks. I am more concerned around the top horizontal area of the recess where the flue starts where I am thinking of putting mortar between the bricks to make it stronger (the flue itself is ok). I will then need to put a lintel at the front. Is there a particular reason why it was built that way?

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
The correct way of laying bricks is with the "frog" uppermost, however you use less muck and it's quicker putting them upside down and if you're on price work every little helps.

The bricks can be laid either way. The "correct" way of laying a brick is determined by the face profile, which is laid to cast off rain, or by any camber in the brick, not by the frog. But used internally it makes no difference.

A top row of exposed bricks would be laid frog down

The face profile is only on bricks cut with a wire before being fired, they usually have three holes, but as you say must be laid so as to let the rain drips off them, commons with a frog is laid with the frog up, unless you're on a housing estate and they are thrown up, the majority of my work was on commercial buildings, office blocks and hospitals etc. where the gaffer comes round every couple of hours and if you're doing it wrong then you either were booted off the site or had to knock it down and redo it, I've seen brickies kicked off site for putting the ties in upside down, on housing sites you can even get away with building a pig in the wall.

Sponsored Links
There is no requirement to lay bricks frog up as standard

And in the OP's context, it's a fire recess not some victorian viaduct

From the LBC technical guide
"Bricks must be laid frog up with all joints filled when maximum
strength or weight is required for the brickwork. When neither is the prime requirement, the bricks may be laid frog down"

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back