Brickwork above bedroom window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have bought a house and am looking at getting some issues repaired that were raised in the survey report. One is to do with the brickwork support above the bedroom window, it seems to have failed causing the window to sag, pictures are attached.

s9n0trz

Window_2.PNG

Window_1.PNG

S3pJcj9

The report stated that:
The bedroom window has a slight bow, likelihood of being caused the weight of the roof structure bearing onto the window frame and possible deflection of the timber wall plated which supports the roof rafter We recommend inspection of the construction detail and repairs as and installation of lintel as necessary

Is this something that a bricklayer can repair? The report estimated about £700 cost to fix but didn't mention who could repair it.

EDIT: Sorry can't seem to embed the images so have attached them
Window_1.PNG
Window_2.PNG

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Assuming that’s a cavity wall, the wall plate would normally be on the inner skin with no roof loading on the outer, so I’m not convinced that’s right

How old is the house? If those plastic windows aren't original then just the weight of the bricks over tine would cause that fail.
With only 1 course of bricks above and the rafter tails poking through a lintel will be a bit overkill (if it isn't supporting anything).
Yes general builder should be able to sort that but it may be a messy job.

Assuming that’s a cavity wall, the wall plate would normally be on the inner skin with no roof loading on the outer, so I’m not convinced that’s right

Do you think the surveyors assessment was incorrect about the wall plate?

Sponsored Links
How old is the house? If those plastic windows aren't original then just the weight of the bricks over tine would cause that fail.
With only 1 course of bricks above and the rafter tails poking through a lintel will be a bit overkill (if it isn't supporting anything).
Yes general builder should be able to sort that but it may be a messy job.

House was built in the early 1960s I think, I see what you mean about a lintel being overkill, could it be that just a window replacement is enough as I am actually replacing the window too as the glazing has failed. Would the window not effectively also be supporting weight from the roof? Sorry I know very little about this.

There shouldn't be any roof load on that outer skin but to tell for sure you'd need a poke about in the loft.
A timber framed window would take that masonry load quite happily, as would a length of 3 x 2

There shouldn't be any roof load on that outer skin but to tell for sure you'd need a poke about in the loft.
A timber framed window would take that masonry load quite happily, as would a length of 3 x 2
I’d have thought a upvc window would also take the load of a single soldier course too, to be fair. Not sure what if anything is above it, look in the loft is best bet

The surveyor is partly right (the course of half bricks are bearing on the frame) but mostly inept in his description of the roof structure bearing on the frame - the roof rests on a lintel on the inside - he could see that.:rolleyes:

It's a bricklayer's job, and an awkward one. It will probably be easier to take the tiles off above and work from above the eaves. Get quotes, but £700 might be at the low end of quotes.

I’d have thought a upvc window would also take the load of a single soldier course too, to be fair. Not sure what if anything is above it, look in the loft is best bet

Mmm, valid point- the old uPVC windows here had a row of bricks between the head & the timber lintel above. If it is a soldier course it might be getting some load from the roof....got to agree with @^woody^ , working from outside will be a lot easier but def worth a good look in the loft first

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back