brickwork

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was drilling into my outer brick work recently and instead of nice dry powder material coming through the drill bit, it was damp--I tried a couple of other places at various heights, much the same, we have had quite a wet summer and would I be right in presuming that the "weather" has penetrated the brickwork over a period of time, I have seen weather protection fluid in B&Q and was thinking of using this??

Sponsored Links
No, that's normal. Bricks can vary in porosity and the external wall takes the full impact of the weather. When it rains it gets wet. When it gets dry, the wall dries. It's all a natural process. You don't need to treat it.

And any wet that reaches the cavity goes down the cavity to the ground and shouldn't reach the inner skin.

Sponsored Links
What HandyJon is correct for most modern buildings with cavity walls but if the wall is of older construction 9 inch solid as most terrace are this could be a problem if the bricks are very porous as in my terrace thus i have salts comeing through the plaster upstairs really is terrable in heavy rains as it creates mould a builder advised me to render the wall,

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back