Brief question - is this possible?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Very quickly..... considering usual Building Regs and construction methods etc...

Is it possible to create and install a new exterior back doorway with a removable but safely built PVCu or Wooden step directly in front / above an exterior Kitchen waste drain?

I will therefore be using the new back doorway into and out of my house by effectively stepping directly over the exterior drain which will be running under the removable step directly outside the new doorway.

Would that be an OK thing to do?? - I guess its probably not ideal but is probably safe and not completely unheard of.....???

Any thoughts PLEASE!!

Ta

Sponsored Links
I trying to picture this, are you saying a gulley where the waste goes into or just a waste pipe there going somewhere else?

Hi

Yeah, its hard to explain but I'll try a bit harder....

The waste pipe will be moved from its current position and will exit the house and follow the bottom of the exterior wall for a short distance before entering a firm but removable rectangular box (which will become the new "Step" - made out of wood or Upvc and fixed to the wall with screws or similar). Underneath this box /step will be the small drain cover and drain for the kitchen waste.

Currently the kitchen waste drain hole enters the ground under the kitchen window. Our aim is to move the kitchen around and put a full sized back doorway where the window currently is. Therefore the waste drain hole will then be directly in front of the door. I dont want the hassle and expense of moving the drainage so hope to be able to just put this Box / Step idea over it and part of the pipework, so as it saves me money and time but still looks tidy.

Essentially I'm looking for advice to see if it is an OK thing to do, to put a doorway immediately infront of a drain hole that will be covered with a removable but securely fitted step. Its probably not orthodox but I'm sure other people must have this sort of system fitted?

Is that any better...I'm not a very technical person in terms of my "Trade Speak" - sorry!?

Nowadays this type of work requires the involvment of your local BCO. So they are probably your first port of call. Let them know what you want to acheive and they'll probably suggest what they would accept.

I have seen it done on quite a few flat conversions and can't think of any new regs that would outlaw it. I've even seen incidents of the gulley being indoors (well inside a conservatory or garage anyhow). As long as the gulley remains "accessible", I don't think you'll have any problem. In the event that you have to rod the drain, lifting a paving slab (that is just loosely laid across the gulley), shouldn't create too much of a problem.

Sponsored Links
Hi

Thanks for the input!!

I am submitting my own plans to the BCO this week. I have decided that a good option was to suggest that I fit some decking suspended over the area of the drain and extending out a few feet - a nice looking addition to the new entrance and the access to the drains and pipes would not be a problem, as all I would have to to do is to unscrew a decking plank or two!

It would be easier to fit than a step as well.

Lets hope the BCO like my plans???? I'll let you know how it goes

Cheers

Mark

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back