British Gas boiler fix OK?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Glowworm FF40 boiler stopped working yesterday, under my Homecare cover BG came out same day and traced the fault to a kink in the ignition lead. It was arcing at the kink. They have fixed it with black insulation tape and then silver tape. Works fine now.

Is this fix allowed, asked the engineer three times as wasn't sure tape instead of new lead good / safe and he said yes 100% safe and allowed.

Any thoughts, it is about 2 inches below the actual pilot, the kink was only a mm dig in the metal lead.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Thanks misterdubya so this fix is perfectly safe and acceptable?

Personally, I would only do that as a temporary fix and order a new lead and as you have a homecare agreement,if I were you I would ask to have the lead replaced.

Sponsored Links
I wish I had a fiver for every Gloworm FF boiler with tape where the HT lead passes through the case. Although the manufacturers would advise renewal of the lead, this is a perfectly safe alternative to fitting new parts.

45yearsagasman thanks for reassurance re. it being OK.

I've emailed BG saying under homecare is a tape repair acceptable.

All your agreement provides is a working boiler repair.

There is nothing unsafe about doing that.

But I would not do it for my customer unless he did not want to pay the £11 for a new lead ( which I would come and fit at no extra cost ).

The design of that model encourages a problem with the EHT lead!

Tony

Point taken and post removed. Just seems to me that every time that we get a spark or a BG engineer round to do an annual service or landlord certificate, they keep moving the goalpost - what was alright last year now isn't. Hence what may be an acceptable repair outlined from the op may well not be acceptable at the next service.

We dont all cut people off for the purpose of earning more money...

I only cut them off if an appliance is going to kill them

We dont all cut people off for the purpose of earning more money...

I only cut them off if an appliance is going to kill them
I have every confidence that this is the case. But different engineers do seem to apply the regs slightly differently at times, normally at "our" expense :confused:

I can understand why BG gets a bad rep at times.

With so many customers to deal with and so many different types of boilers. They only keep spares for boilers under 7 years old.

Yeah i get a bonus if a customer is interested in a product enough to talk to a sales person. But i still get the bonus reguardless of that chat.

I saw a fire today that was covered in soot (or CO2), customer hadnt had it serviced in years. The flame pic was alright and no signs of spillage, so i just told her to get it serviced... Told her that it would be better to get a guy from the thomson local rather than BG cause it was that old.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back