British gas says installation is not up to current standards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Worcester 24LE combi boiler which was installed in January 2000 and has been functioning perfectly and passing all the yearly inspections.

At the annual inspection the British Gas engineer left written notification
about remedial work needing done, that there should be a switched spur controlling this appliance.

The wiring goes into a fixed spur, and has a separate switch at the main fuse board, why does the spur itself need to be switchable? It's been perfectly acceptable to them for eight years. It was they who installed it!

He also wrote PRV on the slip he left. I understand this means pressure relief valve. What does he mean by that? He didn't explain about it!

I would be grateful for advice on this, as I am a bit worried!

Sponsored Links
It should have a DP isolator local to the appliance. this is so anyone working on it can turn it off, and see that it is off.

If the switch is remote it is difficult to know someone will not turn it back on without you knowing (yes, this does happen).

Changing the FCU to a switched FCU is a quick and easy job, you can do it yourself if you are competent, for less than a fiver.

I think you should phone and ask why he wrote PRV and what he intends you to understand by it.

Thank you for your reply to my post.

I phoned British Gas and was told after they had contacted the engineer in the field that I need do nothing about his note on PRV. Something to do with a small pipe on the top of the boiler. I think he was being a bit overzealous myself!

If I could pick your brains once more please.

What I can't understand is that there are two leads to the boiler.
One cable comes from the mains to the unswitched spur as I have previously mentioned and which the British Gas engineer said should be switched.

The other one comes from a different location and is a SWITCHED SPUR which I have just found and was hidden behind the tumble dryer.

Would I be right in saying this is for the room thermostat? This is the one I think the electrician was working on when he was up in the loft doing the wiring for the thermostat. I am only guessing by the way!

it might be a spur taken off the boiler supply :(

turn it off and see what stops working.

If by switched spur you mean one of these, it is not required on the room stat.

p2034740_l.jpg

Sponsored Links
Please excuse the delay in replying.

I had it the wrong way round.

The unswitched spur is for the controls to the timer and room thermostat.
I can tell by the way it's wired up. The electrician looped it in from the wiring in the timer switch that supplied the immerser on the original system

The switched one is the main feed to the boiler. When I took your advice and switched it off, the boiler went dead.

To put you in the picture, this switched spur is hidden behind the tumble dryer which sits below the boiler, and the engineer didn't see it, and assumed the unswitched spur was the mains feed to the boiler.

I thank you again for giving me the benefit of your time and expertise.

Put a label insde the boiler that says "Mains Power switched off from behind Tumble Dryer" or words to that effect so that the next time someone goes inside, they know. :D

"Put a label insde the boiler that says "Mains Power switched off from behind Tumble Dryer" or words to that effect so that the next time someone goes inside, they know."

I did as you advised

I've also sent a letter off to British gas to let them know, and asked them to amend their records to show tthat there is a switched spur (FCU) supplying the boiler, and where it is situated.

Thank you!

John D
"If by switched spur you mean one of these"

Yes I do actually. Sorry for using the wrong term. I've got mixed up! I guess the proper name is a FCU

If I saw PRV mentioned as a problem then I would assume that the boilers PRV has not been vented to the outside.

Please check that it has indeed been vented to the outside.

Otherwise I dont really understand what else it could refer to.

Perhaps it was Paul Barker on his QA test?

Tony

I know the PRV vents to atmosphere as I was outside with an engineer when he checked a new one he had fitted when we were having pressure problems 3 years ago!

Thank you for your input.

I know the PRV vents to atmosphere as I was outside with an engineer when he checked a new one he had fitted when we were having pressure problems 3 years ago!

Probably simply means that it isn't turned back towards the wall.

Probably simply means that it isn't turned back towards the wall.

which they are now classing as at risk if its judged to be in an area likely to cause injury.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back