Broadband Cabling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to have broadband installed in my small upstairs bedroom which I use as an office. However the installations I have seen locally aesthetically are appalling. Horrible runs of saggy black cable clipped around the outside of houses around door, window frames and skirting boards etc. I appreciate running cables properly takes time, so before I choose my service provider I intend to run the cable myself in a suitably concealed manner. However what cable should I use? I don't want to spend a day running a cable only to be told it's the wrong sort.

Sponsored Links
Im pretty sure its RG 59 cable. But to be honest I cant emagine the supplier BT or NTL etc letting you fit the cable first. Jobsworth and all that. Just tell the installer you want a neat job or you wont sign the paperwork when they leave.

The other option is to go wireless then you can have the router as close to the point of installation as possible ( Not much cable run) all you need is a socket to power the Wireless access port and you off (well so long as you dont live in a castle!!

Thanks for the replies.

I'm not sure on the type of broadband, as I guess this will depend on who I select as my service provider. It probably will be ADSL. As most likely I will use the phone company I'm already subscribed to.

I think I will pick my service provider first and see if I can negotiate with them to do a pucker job before I sign on the dotted line, or at least dictate the cable they require.

Will investigate wireless, but I guess the cost will be more.

Sponsored Links
Going wireless wont cost you more monthly its just the initial outlay of a wireless access point which links to you router. Bout £50. You could do this yourself after they install it.

Because the installation cost is usually "free" or at least hidden in the contract price, the installers have no incentive to spend time or take trouble doing it neatly. Every minute spent is a pound off the company's profits.

I managed to bully NTL into running mine under my block paving and bringing it up through the garage floor; but only because I had got the salesman (who didn't care) to promise I could have it like that.

I think if you bury your own duct in the garden, they should have no reason not to use it. You could also clip conduit or mini-trunking about the house.

I like min-trunking because you can paint it (with non-drip gloss) to tone in with the house, and the snap-on lid enables you to add or remove cables after fixing.

I had no problem at all getting Telewest to install my broadband modem in the upstairs back bedroom, using double screened satellite coax I had run myself from the splitter on the downstairs front wall by the TV, up into the attic, across and back down again.

The fitter (I refuse to call them engineers - they are not) looked at the cable, which is different from what he had with him (his was the lower quality version, single screened) and said that he was not sure it would work - I said, "yes it will, it's the correct impedance and a better spec than the stuff you've got there!". It works perfectly, very good signal level and quality, as I expected.

Same for me, I fitted my SKY+ Tv cabling and my telewest phone, tv and broadband, just got the engineers to connect up the ends.

To be honest they were quite happy (2 seperate engineers obviously) as I saved them loads of time.

-Dan

toasty said:
(2 seperate engineers obviously)
Spellcheck here -
"seperate" should be "separate" and "engineer" should be "installer" (in the case of Sky anyway - they don't pay engineer wages!)

Thanks Sam.

That's really helpful, I'm sure the OP is glad you pointed that out. :confused:

our sky dish is on the back of the house, directly above the point of entry for the original sky box in the lounge. when I had it fitted in my bedroom - front of house, the fitter slung a cable over the roof. He didn't "discuss an appropriate cable route" with me, as the Sky bumph would have me believe. :rolleyes: If he had, I might have suggested he enter under the sky dish, under the upstairs floorboards, and then i'd lift a few boards for him to route to the front of the house . . . oh no.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back