Broken Bleed Valve and Other Problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a comination boiler. I removed and drained one radiator to decorate, then replaced it. Since then, the system keeps losing pressure, and I have to fill it up every couple of days. I've tried turning the heat on full, with one radiator turned off and the others up high. This hasn't solved the problem. Any ideas?

Also, the bleed valve on one radiator has broken. It just turns round and round, but no air or water escapes. I guess its just the end of it that is broken. Can I replace this part of the radiator or am I going to have to replace the whole radiator.

Thanks for any help!

Sponsored Links
I expect you repressurised too high and it's now dripping through the pressure relief valve to the outside. Fix this first, then get the expansion vessel checked, then ask/beg at your local plumbing merchants for a bleed screw off a damaged rad.

Thanks for the reply.

I've got an old radiator so may be able to get my plumber to remove the valve from that one.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
rejb68 said:
Thanks for the reply.

I've got an old radiator so may be able to get my plumber to remove the valve from that one.

Cheers

Remove what valve?

Remove bleed screw do you mean? The snapped one on your rad can be drilled out but you will need to find a bolt (with ptfe) to replace it with. Ive used 1/8" plugs on expensive rads to save customers the cost of replacing it.

PRV may be able to repair. Unscrew head, smear with silicone grease and re-assemble. (System drained of course).

Reference section has posts on checking e/vessell pressures.

David

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back