Broken central heating room thermostat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya,

My first post and very new to central heating systems etc. I've recently moved into my new house and noticed the that the central heating thermostat dial is broken.

Its a simple thing, nothing complicated, just a plain dial thermostat. The actual dial is broken and has falled apart. Problem is I can't fix it cos I don't know what temperature the resister thing underneath is on so I can place the dial back on at the correct place.

I was hoping I could just replace it, but need to know if its just a simple thing to do and what to bear in mind. I don't want anything fancy to replace it with, but I do want to know if I have make sure I get the right type and that its compatable.

Thanks very much.

Sponsored Links
They come with 2,3 or 4 wires! If you can identify the model you have we can give you model to replace it with and the terminal numbers. Otherwise you'll have to work out the connections with a multimeter.

ChrisR said:
They come with 2,3 or 4 wires! If you can identify the model you have we can give you model to replace it with and the terminal numbers. Otherwise you'll have to work out the connections with a multimeter.

Right ok, I'll look at that when I get home.

What is it a honeywell?, they normally crack the dial and fall apart. Why can't you turn the spindle anti clockwise to the stop and then put a new fromt on...or alternatively put a thermostat next to the stat and put the dial in the correct place.

Sponsored Links
I'd think I rather go for a new replacement thermostat. Thanks for the suggestions.

As you asked it is a Honeywell one.

Also it does have 3 cables connected to it, which answers the other question.

Looking around I might go a 5/2 electronic timer version if its possible. However I have a timer on the boiler itself so not sure if its possible.

ChrisR said:

Hiya, sorry to pester.

I got a cable with 3 wires connected to my thermostat.

Can you suggest some replacements?

Thanks very much

you can bypass the timer in the boiler with an external timer, but you can't replace a thermostat with a timer. Guess yours is like this one:

T6360.jpg

if so, and if you don't want anything fancy, just buy a new one of these and clip the front on.

Couldn't steve fit a programmable stat in place of the existing room stat if the new stat had voltage free contacts and was powered by battery?

Alternatively, he could certainly have a radio controlled programmable stat in almost any location.

chrishutt said:
Couldn't steve fit a programmable stat in place of the existing room stat if the new stat had voltage free contacts and was powered by battery?

Alternatively, he could certainly have a radio controlled programmable stat in almost any location.

yes but in the first post he didn't want anything fancy and I tend to think of programmable and wireless stats as getting a bit fancy.

Your spot on with the pic. Admitted mine has a werid brown colouring.

I'll probably just go for a simple replacement. No point in over complicating things.

But if I can a digital thermostat I might consider that. Because of was reading up on the differences between an anology (dial) and digital one and the fact that the analogue one is slow in responding to temperature changes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back