Broken clutch release arm

Sponsored Links
I think this stuff is really for crack filling, but there's nothing to stop you giving it a go....the forces involved are quite enormous though.
John :)

Haven't got a welder yet and taking the gearbox off will be quite a task.

I've have the idea of an M10 J bolt. I can araldite the broken off bit into the hook of the bolt, then fix the length of the J bolt to the main arm with a couple of decent sized hose clips.

The J bolt will take the stress, the araldite will just need to keep the broken bit in place.

2em1j6w.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Could you get another wide clip or cable tie around the cup and j bolt with a hole the same position as the cup so the shaft fits through it? that way there would be more than jb weld holding it on....if you get my drift??
Not sure the steel in a j bolt would be man enough though as I doubt the metal in the arm will be plain mild steel but worth a try.
litl

Last edited:
May get a M12 J bolt for a bit extra strength!

I'll have to grind a flat on the shank of the J bolt so it mates to the arm to stop it from twisting.

If this is what you mean by a clip around the cup, then yes, its a good suggestion, many thanks.

10yf7zc.jpg

If this fails while your out, surely the cost of recovering the car is going to be far higher than a replacement arm from the breakers etc, I'd think any repair, no matter how well it works in the garage wouldn't be worth the risk of being stranded somewhere.
The forces exerted by clutch springs are pretty large, i'd imagine that would fail by the cup part rotating off the end, to the left or right in the last photo, as if its not perfectly in front of the cylinder it will have some sideways force.

Indeed, it is a risk but the local breakers don't have any 45 TDs in stock to salvage one and RimmerBros no longer stock the arm.

To replace the arm means the gearbox has to come off.

Indeed, ebay!

Sadly not one for a 45TD.

Will keep a watch though, someone might list one!

If ever a part appeared to be under designed, this is it.....it's the socket on the end of the arm that is going to take all the leverage.
By all means reinforce things with your bolt or whatever but I'd be getting in there with the MIG welder I think. Most garages would have a bash at that if you did the fabrication work.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Back