Broken flywheel, should I scrap the car?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. The car started making a noise so I called out the breakdown people. He says its the dual mass.
So its about £1,100 for a flywheel and clutch fitted. With a 2 week wait. Ive been told by the garage its possible that the gearbox and engine could be damaged. As the car is only worth £1500 in good condition im not sure what to do.
So Is there a way of telling if theres any more damage. could I drive it up and down the drive a couple of times for example?
Also would the garage discover if theres further damage and then not touch the flywheel and clutch and let me know thus saving me the cost of the clutch kit?
Cheers

Sponsored Links
I don’t see why there should be any further damage but you won’t really know until the DMF is removed - and you’re well into the work by then.
I guess it really depends on how much the car is worth to you, and it’s general condition.
John

Ask the garage if they can stop work and refund the parts if there is further damage? What noise did the flywheel make? They do rattle when they get old....

Sponsored Links
What car is it?
15 yr old Passat dsl est.
Ask the garage if they can stop work and refund the parts if there is further damage? What noise did the flywheel make? They do rattle when they get old....
A loud fast clicking once you lift the clutch. Also when I was driving it to find somewhere to park it made a noise when in neutral which seemed to stop if i revved it gently.

That sounds like the typical noise from a dual mass flywheel calling it a day, I’m afraid.
Still no reason to assume further damage though!
The trouble is, there’s a lot of work involved just getting the clutch out.....and it’ll need to be put back together again even if only to tow it away!
If the engine is in good nick and maybe has had a new timing belt and whatever, it could be worth repairing.
John

Thanks
That sounds like the typical noise from a dual mass flywheel calling it a day, I’m afraid.
Still no reason to assume further damage though!
The trouble is, there’s a lot of work involved just getting the clutch out.....and it’ll need to be put back together again even if only to tow it away!
If the engine is in good nick and maybe has had a new timing belt and whatever, it could be worth repairing.
John
Thanks. The timing belt is about 3.5 years old and supposed to be changed every 5. 175k on the clock though.

pngtree-the-pathway-to-the-heavens-picture-image_2734756.jpg

Mine (vw diesel) was rattling like a bag of spanners when I bought it at 83k miles and is still doing so at 96k. Catastrophic failure or collateral damage fairly unlikely but on my last car (vauxhall) I had it changed because it was creating iron filings that kept killing starter motors.

I'm getting mine done because I can't bear the noise but obviously much lower mileage and I picked up a kit cheap on eBay so worth doing.

Take it for a drive round the block and if its ok you could run it into the ground or sell it as a runner with a noisy flywheel. Hopefully you're well away from London!

the car is only worth £1500 in good condition
Unlikely. In good condition the car is worth 15,000. It's worth 1500 in unknown condition. For instance if you buy a 1500 car, does anyone dare to guarantee you a non-lemon? It might have a dual mass ready to blow in 15 days. If you get your car fixed for 1100, is the car worth more than 1500 to you when you take into consideration the condition of the rest of the car? The car will have a brand new dual mass that could be good for 100k miles. The same would not be true for any other 1500 cars.

Difficult one.
Could be a good investment if the rest of the car is OK.

Have you had it long? Have you had much work done to it?
Colleague has a 2011 Passat diesel with well over 200K. Has spent a fair bit over the last few years on worn items, suspension, bushes.

What would you replace it with?

I recently had to scrap my Passat because of the khant.
Changed flywheel and clutch along a lot of other 100k miles things by a guy on ukpassat forum who's around bristol.
Those cars are bullet proof and if you really like it to keep it, have a word on the passat forum.
Changing a clutch and flywheel on those motors is not a big deal, really.

So a little update. I think £1500 might be over the top. Where do you get valuations these days? Parker's have gone apart from online. They do a valuation if you put your reg in but can you do that for every car you like on auto trader and eBay?
Anyway parkers say is worth £1000. I don't know if thats accurate but the garages want £1100. It scraps at £300 according to an online thing.
I think I might be better putting that money towards something else and walk away.

Negatives:
It's 15 years old
It's a VW
It's a diesel
It's an estate
It's done 175k

Positives:
?

It's scrappage time.

Sponsored Links
Back