broken gully or gullies

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What is the best way to repair my frost damaged gullie the water goes all over the drive AND IT'S DOING MY HEAD IN. Tried cement around the edge but it doesn't stick to the clay. Maybe i should buy a new one but can't find where to get the good old clay ones from. If i can just build up the sides it would be perfect. Any ideas See photo

Thanks
Paul

Sponsored Links
Depending where abouts in yorkshire you are there is a place in leeds on the crossgreen ind est that sells all reclaimed stuff,bricks,stone and possibly this kind of thing.

Build one or two courses of engineering bricks around it. Put down a layer of 75mm'ish thick concrete and build off that.
You can start the brickwork a little below the top of the gulley.
Then render the internal faces of the brickwork to fill any voids between the brickwork and the gulley.
Cover the drain while you're working.

clay, square hopper heads are common in most buiders suppliers.

first rake away the gravel around the gulley and determine how the hopper is attached to the upstand - sometimes they are simply sitting in the bell end and can be lifted out.

take care of this because if the gulley is located near a corner of the building then leakage can cause point failure.

Sponsored Links
if you have to become involved with the trap come back to this forum.

while you are working on the hopper clean out the trap anyway.

the gulley rim must be set just below the surrounding surface

Thanks very much for all the replies, i didn't realise i could just replace the top part i will dig down and see if it just sits in the pipe. If not then i will go for the other option with the bricks.

Thanks everybody i will let you know how i get on

CHEERS !!!

Could replace the hopper with a plastic version, uPVC shouldn't be so susceptible to frost damage. Although I am surprised to see the clayware weather as severely as that.

It looks fairly modern, early clayware gullies were 'one piece', joined to the drain with a sand/cement joint. Later clayware goods are joined with plastic collars, joints will pull apart with some persuasion!

Cheers Hugh i will start digging on Monday i have found a supplier for the clay replacement from Hepworths but it's £56 !!!!! Anyway will try and get the old one off first.

Thanks again :LOL:

Yes i got the gully out and it's only joined with a bit of sand and cement. It's a bit strange though cause it just sits on top of the pipe instead of inside it. Surely it would be better if it sat inside the drain to prevent it leaking. Anyway got it off and got a secondhand one but fitting it back is a big problem. As i said it just sits on top of the pipe instead of going inside, if that makes sense so water just leaks from the joint now and i don't know how to seal it unless i just throw some sand and cement round it. Maybe the new smaller gullies will go inside the pipe. I am trying not to bodge it honest !!!!!????

HELP !!!!!

Hepworth = Hepsleeve :idea: you need a joiner /socket . Hugh told you that already ;)

Sorted got a new one for £36 from naylor myers builders supplies. Fitted ok just put some cement around joint hopefully cement will dry then i can put the drain pipe back. It looks lovely !!!!!!

thanks to you all ................. :p

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back