BROKEN HEAD VALVE OF VW POLO 1996 MODEL

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI, CAN ANYBODY TELL ME WHAT TO DO BECAUSE MY CAR WAS SMOKING SO WE DID THE RINGS AFTER THAT WHEN WE STARTED IT, IT BROKE A VALVE(HEAD VALVE) SO WE REPLACE IT BUT NOW THE CAR DOESN'T START LIKE IT USE TO AND IT DOESN'T IDLE AND ITS GOT A ROUGH SOUND PLEASE HELP

Sponsored Links
Hi,
If you take the spark plug out from the cylinder that broke the valve, it may well be wet with petrol?
Usually when an engine "drops a valve" it does quite a bit of damage to the piston and/or cylinder as there isn't any room for the bit to go, so it makes room for itself.
You may well be lucky, if you dry off the spark plug and replace it may well fire up ok? If not get a compression test done on that cylinder (to find a leak into the oil sump, because of the damage) and or strip down and visually check for damage.

Did the valve drop as soon as you started the engine after the rings were replaced?
The new valve may not have made a good seal in the cylinder head?

Another option would be to look around for a replacement engine from a local breaker unless you can do the work on your old engine, yourself.

Hope this helps

Why did it break the valve? If the timing (common cause) I would have expected it to break more than one.

Depending on the car/engine I would say I would be looking finding another from a scrap yard.

Your also SHOUTING in your use of caps if your new to forums.

Alternatively, as this is your first post, your not who you say you are.

Daniel

Sponsored Links
I guess your car has the single point fuel injection? In which case, take care to check all of the electrical connections to the fuel injector unit and likewise any rubber air pipes leading to the manifold area.
I guess a valve was dropped due to a timing belt issue? There is a possibility that more than one valve was damaged so try a compression test on all cylinders, aiming for around 200 psi on each.
The valves have hydraulic lifters, and until these are full of oil the valves won't open fully.
John :)

Back