broken locking mechanism on conservatory door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi... whilst lifting the door handle on my conservatory door to lock it I felt something " go " and now the door will not open. the handle is slack and does nothing, the door will lock and unlock with the key. i'm guessing the roller bar has broken. I cannot get to the grub screws on the hinges because the doors are closed, so I am stuck with a door that will not open. any ideas please.
mickcoulson

Sponsored Links
Can you get the handles off, Mick? It maybe the follower bar that has failed or more likely, the square within the handle itself.
John :)

hi... whilst lifting the door handle on my conservatory door to lock it I felt something " go " and now the door will not open. the handle is slack and does nothing, the door will lock and unlock with the key. i'm guessing the roller bar has broken. I cannot get to the grub screws on the hinges because the doors are closed, so I am stuck with a door that will not open. any ideas please.
mickcoulson
I have managed to unscrew the grub screws with some long nosed pliers and the hinge pins will now come out. if I take out hinge pins will the door lift away from the locking mechanism and lift off ?

Can you get the handles off, Mick? It maybe the follower bar that has failed or more likely, the square within the handle itself.
no John the handle is fine the square is ok, it is just the roller bar that is not disengaging the 5 security locks
mick

Sponsored Links
In theory, yes but some mechanisms have hooks rather than shoot bolts, which could prove a pain! Thankfully I've never had to do that!
Be lucky

[/quote]
I have managed to unscrew the grub screws with some long nosed pliers and the hinge pins will now come out. if I take out hinge pins will the door lift away from the locking mechanism and lift off ?[/quote]

Also you may have shootbolts that are engaged up and down into the frame on the handle side so taking it off at the hinges may not work.

Have you taken the handle off to check the spindle yet?

If all else fails with the key unlocked you need to get a thin but stiff bit of metal in between the doors and find one of the locking cams or mushrooms. Then proceed to hammer them (up or down) in the correct direction.

I have managed to unscrew the grub screws with some long nosed pliers and the hinge pins will now come out. if I take out hinge pins will the door lift away from the locking mechanism and lift off ?[/quote]

Also you may have shootbolts that are engaged up and down into the frame on the handle side so taking it off at the hinges may not work.

Have you taken the handle off to check the spindle yet?

If all else fails with the key unlocked you need to get a thin but stiff bit of metal in between the doors and find one of the locking cams or mushrooms. Then proceed to hammer them (up or down) in the correct direction.[/quote]
just surfed the net... the lock is a Maco RAIL espgnolette

Maco RAIL espgnolette are you sure?

Just had a quick google myself and that seems to be a window locking gear not a door one?

There are thousands of different locking mechs that have been used at one time or another. Without the exact make and code number that should be stamped on the mech itself there is no way to be sure if you have hooks or shootbolts.

If you get it wrong and try to pull out the door from the hinge side and you do have hooks and or shoots you could end up killing the whole door.

Maco RAIL espgnolette are you sure?

Just had a quick google myself and that seems to be a window locking gear not a door one?

There are thousands of different locking mechs that have been used at one time or another. Without the exact make and code number that should be stamped on the mech itself there is no way to be sure if you have hooks or shootbolts.

If you get it wrong and try to pull out the door from the hinge side and you do have hooks and or shoots you could end up killing the whole door.
I'm working from memory, if it isn't that lock then it works on the same principle

Fair comment Mick :D
If all else fails, could you cut the lock tongues off using an angle grinder and a 1mm slitting disc between the door and the frame?

Fair comment Mick :D
If all else fails, could you cut the lock tongues off using an angle grinder and a 1mm slitting disc between the door and the frame?
bit too technical for me John... I have a man coming to give me an estimate to do the job

If all else fails with the key unlocked you need to get a thin but stiff bit of metal in between the doors and find one of the locking cams or mushrooms. Then proceed to hammer them (up or down) in the correct direction.[/quote]
[/quote]

Did you try this yet?
You need something like a wide (2") but thin and bendy scraper. Bend it in between where the doors meet and slide it up and down to find the cams or hooks.
Normally if your in the lower half of the door you would need to then tap it up and vise versa for the top half.

If all else fails with the key unlocked you need to get a thin but stiff bit of metal in between the doors and find one of the locking cams or mushrooms. Then proceed to hammer them (up or down) in the correct direction.
[/quote]

Did you try this yet?
You need something like a wide (2") but thin and bendy scraper. Bend it in between where the doors meet and slide it up and down to find the cams or hooks.
Normally if your in the lower half of the door you would need to then tap it up and vise versa for the top half.[/quote]
not tried it yet gazman, gonna try it Monday morning if I do get the door open then it's not secure overnight

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back