Broken wire in switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
I have a big problem, I was changing a plastic two gang 2 way switch for a nice new one and as I moved the brown wire in the 3 core and earth for the 2 way switching it snapped off right at the top of the switch (seems as if it could of been snipped when the outer core was took off). Is there anything I can do apart from hacking the wire out of the wall?

Taff

Sponsored Links
assuming there isnt enough spare/loose wire and there is a lot of work involved in a rewire

with power isolated strip the wire back to check condition

now obviously a rewire is by far the best option but when face with ripping out lifting floor boards and re-papering half a length

then i would personaly hack out the wall and move the back box along the cable by the 40mm or whatever is required

but any more than 2 inches would start to look odd

Sponsored Links
I will look at the options and let you know what happens.

Thanks

If you are lucky the cable could be run in capping down the wall.

It may be possible to find some addition inches in the ceiling above the switch and pull it down into the switch.

You may need to chip out the first 1" above the switch as its probably plastered in.

Good news for me, I took the back box out and managed to get enough cable to crimp a piece on. Phew.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back