Brought new house asbestos quire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I brought a house that was bulit in the 50s/60s and there are several questions about potential materials that I have found

Firstly floor tiles these are the brown vynal ones I'm planning to just leave them and cover over with new floor. I assume this is best way to deal with them.

Next is ceiling tiles these are polystyrene but have been told that the glue maybe asbestos containing. With this I have scraped a tile off they seem to come off very easy. Is this a case of send a sample of the stuff on back of tile to be tested? On the ones in the bathroom the adhesive has stayed on the ceiling but looks like will just peel of as was put on in dabs. Downstairs looks more like paint on the back of the tiles.

Next is a piece of rope between the boiler and fluve in the backboiler. Is it the case that I can wear my approved mask and overalls wet down and carefully remove? Have windows open and the correct Hoover?

Also under the carpets was a lot of black dust and I read somewhere that this was most likely just rubber backed carpet as asbestos carpet underlay would be more hessian like is this the case??

Lastly I know the only real way of checking is by a test but in general would the plaster board ceiling contain any asbestos? It's plaster like substance between paper so I'm assuming this is not. It's soft too as been told aib board is harder but also been told plaster Baird may still contain some asbestos

Thanks for any help you can give I'm new to all this DIY as my first house just thought better get this right before get to carried away.

Sponsored Links
Whilst you're at it, why not check that the concrete in the driveway has no asbestos, and also have the roof tiles tested - you never know! Oh, and don't sit on the toilet seat - that might be riddled with - yes - you've guessed it - asbestos!

Like many people, you have asbestosphobia. Relax.

Lol I know is that being too concerned lol. Just some people act as thou ill die if I go near it others a hell of a lot more relaxed.

So I guess what ya saying is be carefull but don't get a full hazard suit.

have been told that ...... and I read ...... but also been told

I don't know who's telling this stuff, or where you are reading it, but you need to get your information from elsewhere

If you have not died of mesothelioma in the meantime, the thing to do is get your next house purchase surveyed before you decide to buy it and move in.

Sponsored Links
The asbestos-removal industry has made people a lot more panicky about the stuff. People then naturally get scared if they suspect so much as a whiff of asbestos, and will pay any price demanded to get rid of it.

Actually I did get a survey done and that's how I knew it was there just making sure on removal or just working on it.

I suppose just be careful I understand that obviously they want ya cash. Just new house owners just get hounded with how bad it is.

Floor Tiles, soffit and fire def there. And then adhesive under polystyrene tiles pos.

So did they test the floor tiles?
Soffit could be asbestos cement, but won't do any harm if left alone.
As for the rope in the boiler, do it yourself, but don't hire an NBC suit :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back