BROWN SLUDGE COMING OUT OF MY TAP!!

Discussion in 'Plumbing and Central Heating' started by LOFTROOM, 4 Oct 2008.

1. LOFTROOM

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi,

Could anyone tell me how I could stop brown sludge coming out of my hot water taps and shower. We have an immersion tank fed via a back boiler. The back boiler was changed about five years ago. I'm not sure how long the immersion tank has been here. The wife ain't best pleased when she's washing her hair and it gets covered in muck!! Please help!!

2. Mushybees

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Check your storage tank in the loft or airing cupboard. Could need cleaning.

3. cider

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    must have a prymatic cylinder with an airlock seperating boiler and hot water.
    If its really s####ted up or have too many radiators (or been connected to a pump ) it will force the boiler water into the hot

4. LOFTROOM

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks for that.

I can check the stoage tank and I hope that is the answer. What if it is carrying water from the boiler into the hot. Is there any way of clearing it out?

Lofty

5. namsag

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Coil in your cylinder has gone allowing the dirty water from CH into domestic side of cylinder.
    New cylinder req

6. LOFTROOM

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I've checked the storage tank and there is a slight build up but nothin much. I've also run the taps down stairs and there's nothing horrible coming out there so hopefully it was just a build up of sludge that has just cleared itself. I'll keep an eye on it.

Thanks for all the help. I always think the worst......and most of the time I'm right to do so!!!

Lovely site you guys have here. Hope some time I can help someone.

7. cider

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    storage tank as in 1 tank means you have prymatic, sorry primatic cylinder. Problem may only happen with heating on.