Brown stuff coming though paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I just stripped a load of wall paper in a room and today I began painting the wall white with matt emulsion. After the first coat began to dry I can see a brown stain on the paint in parts (as iff something is coming thought the paint from the stripped wall). Can anyone tell me what this is? What should I do?

Thanks,

Julian, UK

Sponsored Links
Is it on a chimney breast by any chance?..if so its probably soot drawn through by moisture

If not it sounds like its old or new damp..does the wall feel dry?

If so give it two coats of Dulux/Blackfriars stain block

I had the same problem with old coving which was in poor condition and I thought a lick of emulsion would fix it,,,after 3 coats still no joy so I bought a tin of the --- no more cracks ___ as this is rich,one coat of that and a coat of emulsion,,,,,,,,,,,problem solved

Sponsored Links
The house was built around 1870. The plaster did feel dry and looked ok. The brown stain is coming though on two places. Around a small window (old damp?) and on a main wall where I don't think there was ever a chimney breast. The stain block sounds like good advice. Many thanks.

Julian

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back