BT master socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I replaced the BT master socket some time ago , looking at these threads it looks like that's not allowed.
I still have the old BT socket, should I put it back & if so where can I get the special tool to connect the wires into the terminals?

Sponsored Links
If the socket is a 2-piece (plus backbox) NTE5, then the network wiring should be terminated under the screw terminals on the back half of the NTE5. Terminating the network suppliers wiring on the face plate IDC connectors would disable the test isolation facility, which may upset the network supplier.
Some installations were made before the NTE5 socket was introduced. The network supplier's and customer's responsibility may become blurred in these cases, so I don't think they could object too strongly about a changed socket.

High street stores (eg Woolworths) and the DIY sheds often stock a cheap and cheerful plastic wire inserter that will do the job, otherwise
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/17402/Electrical/Data-Networking/Tools/IDC-Insertion-Tool.

Trim back the ends of the wires before reterminating or the conductors may break inside the insulation.

Thanks for the reply Tickly.
It is a one piece outlet box (not a separate top & bottom), I think that it must be older than the one you refer to.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back