Bthroom Cabinet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone,

I will be building a bathroom vanity unit soon and I am unsure which material to use. It will probably take a quite a few splashes and spills etc and not sure if MR MDF will be suitable? Even with several coats of paint I think it will still swell up. I was also thinking of marine ply?

Does anyone have any suggestions? It will be a painted finish

Thanks in advance for any advice

Greig

Sponsored Links
Commercial units are often made from MFC (melamine faced chipboard) or MF-MDF (melamine-faced MDF). The trick with using these materials is to thoroughly seal any and all cut edges as well as to use a waterproof glue, although a screwed construction would probably work better. I've made-up MDF bath panel sets, but they were sealed with 3 or more coats of poly lacquer (Dulux 7 Star). None have come back to me yet (after more than 6 years).....

Thanks for the advice, where can I buy MF MDF or MFC? Also, does the paint go on easy over the poly?

Thanks again

I used kitchen end panels and doors from ikea to make a vanity unit, quick and easy to assemble.

Sponsored Links
Yeah that could be a good shout, save a heap of work as well, thanks for the tip

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back