Btu size?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
how do I size the btu needed for heating conservatory, 4m x 7m standard 3m ceiling hieght

Sponsored Links
I would treat it as a normal room add the extra area of the glass then add 50 %.

1) Work out the total area of glass in square metres. Anything else will be trivial by comparison.

2) Decide how warm you will want it on the coldest day of the year, eg 20° inside but -10° outside = 30°.

3) Multiply the results of one and two by 2.5 - or 5 if single glazed!

4) You now have the answer in kilowatts. Be prepared for a shock, eg 60 sq m x 30° x 2.5W/sq m/deg = 4.5kW! :eek: :eek: :eek:

5) Divide by three and multiply by 10000 to get the answer in btu per hour.

Sponsored Links
Tiz a lot easier to stick to Kw's ....... Decimalisation wasn't a complete cods up ya know :D

John M said:
Decimalisation wasn't a complete cods up ya know

This is true. SI units have a lot going for them. When I first learnt physics we had to work in grams, dynes and ergs - and calories too! There were BTUs of course and also CHUs (centigrade heat units before you ask). As if this wasn't confusing enough, we learnt that a food calorie was worth 1000 of our calories! :evil: :evil: :evil:

But that's nothing compared to what my father had to put up with. He was doing a part time degree in physical electronics at the time and he learnt that there were two different kinds of volts and amps! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back