Bubbles in a plastered Ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have noticed that there is what seems like a bubble in my ceiling it has not been plastered for long. What would be the best way to go about repairing it. I was thinking of sanding it right down then touching it up.

Sponsored Links
How large in diameter is this bubble?

I'd see if that bubble seems damp at all (if it's only in the one spot) to see if it could have been caused by any water leakage.

If not, what I'd do is as follows:

1. just use a utility knife to cut around the perimeter of the bubble to remove any loose plaster.

2. Use a sharp paint scraper to scrape down the edges of the area of missing plaster a bit.

3. Use a bit of masking tape to see if it sticks well to the newly exposed plaster to see if there's any reason that top layer of plaster didn't stick well. (perhaps it was dusty) Clean that exposed plaster well.

4. Dilute some white wood glue with enough water to make it into a paintable consistancy and paint that over the surface you want your new plaster to stick to. (and allow to dry)

5. Mix a bit of that wood glue into the plaster you mix up to spread on your ceiling (you don't have to do this) so that it dries a bit harder (if you want). Alternatively, use a plasterboard joint compound and spread that onto the newly exposed plaster. (Don't be afraid to mix in some water into plasterboard joint compound to make it easier to spread; some of that stuff is so thick you need to have the wrists of a gorilla to work with it.)

6. Sand smooth. Repeat steps #5 and 6 several times to get a nice smooth surface. When spreading the joint compound or sanding it smooth, always work with a bright light close to the surface you're working on and located some distance away to shine light at a sharp angle to the surface you're repairing. The lighting angle will exagerate the roughness of your work, giving you a much better idea of where you need to add plaster and where you need to sand it off to achieve a smoother job. Once it looks acceptable under such critical lighting, it'll look perfect under normal lighting.

7. prime and paint.

originalwurzel said:
I have noticed that there is what seems like a bubble in my ceiling it has not been plastered for long. What would be the best way to go about repairing it. I was thinking of sanding it right down then touching it up.

Interesting to know if the bubble is in plaster or the paint! Hope its not the plaster, have you tried gently pushing against it ?

Sponsored Links
Confident:

That's also what I was thinking, that it could be caused by a water leak and the bubble might just be water under the paint. But the poster said they were thinking of "sanding it down", and I figured that wouldn't be their gameplan if it looked like a paint blister full of water.
Still, I've never seen a "bubble" in plaster, so it was natural to think what they were seeing was water coming through the ceiling.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back