Bubbles/sloshing in hot ware cylinder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When using just the gas boiler to generate hot water in cylinder lots of bubbles/sloshing can be heard. Seems to cycle i.e. sloshing for 10 secs then no noise. Central heating does not generate any noise on its own.

Any ideas - perhaps debris biuld up in cylinder?

Pump is a Grundfos 10/60 and gas boiler is a Glowworm spacesaver. :mad:

Sponsored Links
Check for a manual air vent near the cylinder , where the boiler connections go in.

Sorry, should have mentioned that I have repeatedly vented the air out of the pipe work next to cylinder on many occations but still seems to be generating air and still sounding like there is sloshing/bubbles going through cylinder and also can be heard back to gas boiler as well.

When I moved into my house in 1988 I had this same problem. Called in a plumber I had used in previous house and he fitted an air dissipation device toward the top of the pipe run (next to my hot tank). This cured the problem and I didn't have to bleed every couple of weeks.

Basically from memory as I am not at home - it is a metal box (a bit like the brake fluid box on a car) with 4 connections. The outlet is fed up into the tank overflow to rid the air.

However, a couple of years ago I had the boiler replaced by British Gas and the pump at the same time (since they said I should). Ever since then, the original problem is back.

I did call them back a couple of times but hey just turned the pump down and told me the device had been fitted the wrong way round. All i can say is that whichever way round it should be, it did work and now it doesn't.

Sponsored Links
The stuff causing the problem is a gas - either air or a corrosion product, hydrogen.

You can test for hydrogen - do a search on this forum. You can add corrosion inhibitor (anyway - does no harm).

You may have a leak, which lets air in but not water out. Surprisingly common. There are things you can do if that's the case, but try the corrosion route first.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back