Bubbling/flaking paint.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I had a damp course completed a year ago in my living room. I waited for the fresh plaster to dry and painted a fresh coat of emulsion (a bit naive maybe). After a few months ago, there have been patches of the paint that are bubbling/flaking. I assume this is due to the plaster not being completely dry prior to painting. There are only a few patches but sods law right in the centre of a couple of the walls. The bubbling/flaking effect has seemed to stop increasing, safe to assume the plaster is now dry? would i be right to thinking all i need to do is sand down these patches, use a watered down emulsion paint solution for where the plaster is now bare and let the paint dry? I'm hoping to give all the walls a new lick of paint anyway, so how do i go about this without having the patches showing up (i.e the sanded down patches are maybe a lighter shade than the rest of the wall which have had by now 2 coats of paint)? Any Advice would be most appreciated!! thanks :D

Sponsored Links
to be honest, i cant remember. I think it was a regular emulsion. Not even sure it was a poreous type emulsion - sorry, diy isnt my forte. cheers

It could be bubbling and flaking because the first one was too fick

Sponsored Links
Yep, Zampa and jbonding are asking the correct questions. Though, where the paint has blistered pull a bit off and try and bend it. Then reply to whether it seems flexible or not ! Need to know the emulsion before anybody can answer :(

wont be home till after the weekend so i will let you know. thanks for your assistance guys, totaly appreciated!!

yep, its silk emulsion. What i've done now is scrapped off the loose paint down to the plaster. i know i have to primer the bare plaster, what about the existing emulsion that seems to be ok? do i leave it and just give the whole lot a coat of unthinned emulsion?

I think the lads will probably say scrape the lot of and start again with thinned trade matt emulsion, if youv got any silk left on the wall your gonna have a problem. :rolleyes:

Try if you can take off all silk emulsion. What you should have done with "damp" surfaces is used paints that are specialy made for these type of enviroments. i.e. Stopmould, as its for areas prone to intermittent damp conditions, and it is water based so it allows the walls still to breath.

The damp course seems to have sorted the dampness out and for the safe measure, the whole wall was skimmed. Removing the emulsion from the uneffected places would take days. The flaky/bubbling emulsion was easy to remove, but the uneffected paint seems to have a good hold on the plaster. Perhaps seal the bare plaster patches and then just give the whole wall a couple of coats?

lol, hmm yet another new plaster job left unsized n not treated; causes major head aches, n money. i always seal new plaster walls before any painting or papering; it s worth its wait

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back