Budget or Quality Emultion on skimmed walls?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I need to paint some walls in my 19th century terrace. Some of the walls have been plasterboarded and skimmed, some of the walls have just been skimmed.

For the first watered down coar (50:50?), can I get away with using B&Q own brand budget emulsion (on coat or two?) followed by some coats of quality emulsion (Crown for example)?

Many thanks,

James

Sponsored Links
For the first watered down coar (50:50?), can I get away with using B&Q own brand budget emulsion (on coat or two?) followed by some coats of quality emulsion (Crown for example)?
It's what I always do; & make that 2 coats of 50/50.

in my experince one 50/50 will do, i would try dulux or Glidden, ive been getting glidden from jewsons for £12.50 for 10litres, thats in white or magonlia
ive found glidden spot on, ive got some sat in the hallway to use on my own house as well as at work

Where do any of you, get the recommendation to use a ridiculous, watered down load of gnats water such as 50/50 :?:

This is rubbish information.

It's time this dross was cleared up.
Anyone that pours half water into paint doesn't know what they're doing.

:LOL: Half water :LOL:

It's got to be a joke :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Where do any of you, get the recommendation to use a ridiculous, watered down load of gnats water such as 50/50 :?:

This is rubbish information.

It's time this dross was cleared up.
Anyone that pours half water into paint doesn't know what they're doing.

:LOL: Half water :LOL:

It's got to be a joke :LOL:
Thank you so much for your enlightened input growler. :rolleyes:

Thank you so much for your enlightened input growler.

You're most welcome Richard C.

Now let's junk this half a bucket of water into half a bucket of paint business.

A good quality contract emulsion such as Johnstone's recommends a maximum 20% water on new plaster.

Any more water and it's only fit for washing your brushes out in.

Dulux Trade supermatt is good for plasterboard and new plaster that is still drying out and they recommend a max of 25% water on first coat.

:LOL: goodon yer growler :LOL: most important is to use non vinyl paint , like you mentioned dulux..or B=Q "for new plaster" ;)

Thank you so much for your enlightened input growler.

You're most welcome Richard C.

Now let's junk this half a bucket of water into half a bucket of paint business.

A good quality contract emulsion such as Johnstone's recommends a maximum 20% water on new plaster.

Any more water and it's only fit for washing your brushes out in.

Dulux Trade supermatt is good for plasterboard and new plaster that is still drying out and they recommend a max of 25% water on first coat.
That's better :)

That's better
Thankyou.

Now, if you really want to play safe with new plaster , eg. if the surface is at all powdery.... use Dulux plaster sealer.

That's what it's for...........sealing new plaster!

But.............. if you use plaster sealer, it has to be snuff dry first.

Many thanks for all of your posts. I will stick to a max of 25% water, and see how I get on with just one diluted coat. I will most likely go for Dulux Trade Supermatt.

Can I get away with using a cheaper emulsion (e.g. B&Q Value at around £8.50 for 10L) for the diluted first coat or two, then finish with premium paint e.g. supermatt??

I will look into the Glidden paint. Can I purchase Johnstone paint without a trade account - if so how?

Not sure if you're still there, Connorsj - I only just saw this post - but Dulux Supermatt is wonderful paint with great covering qualities. I used it recently on skim plaster and was impressed. (I usually go for the cheap stuff but it's not cheap really - you use more.)

Hi NickStone,

Yep still here. Thank you for your reply. I am stocking up on Dulux Supermatt after reading these responses. I will use it with 25% water for the first coat (or poss 2), then I will use neat for further coat(s).

Many thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back