Builder due diligence - site visit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm currently going through the process of selecting a builder to build a part 2 storey rear extension. We have currently put the project out to tender with 5-6 builders.

Based on the quotes that come back, i would like to start arranging some site visits to see some of the work both completed and work in progress by the builders.

If you were doing a site visit for either a work in progress or a completed project for say, an extension, what would be the things a trained eye would be looking for or would ask to see?

Obviously making sure i cant see through into the next door neighbours living room would be a good start!

Cheers,

Deep

Sponsored Links
I'd be more interested to speak with the clients about how it all went. Builders are not going to show you a shoddy job. Unless they're stupid.

I give my customer a list dating back as far as they like, including ALL the extensions we have done.

A tidy site means a lot.
If there are weeds growing in the sand or up between stacks of bricks/blocks etc - avoid.
If the roof is exposed and the timbers look weathered and grey - avoid.
Badly smudged or poorly matched brickwork.
Overflowing skips.
Brick bands left lying around.

A happy customer is a really good sign.

I'd be more interested to speak with the clients about how it all went. Builders are not going to show you a shoddy job. Unless they're stupid.

You should have referred him to that Yellow Pages add you posted a year or so back (maybe longer?).

Sponsored Links
Thanks Noseall - makes sense

Definitely agree on the client feedback - that certainly will be forming the basis of our decision making process

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back