Builder has left me with no heating!

Being a Libran and wanting to get a balanced view I am left thinking that I have only heard one side of the story!

Whats the payment situation with the builder? Has he been paid up to date?

There is always the possibility that he has intentionally kept the heating off because you are behind with the payments?

Tony

Sponsored Links
Agile - very sceptical.

I did leave about 5% unpaid - that was to ensure that he would come back to sort out stuff. I was very prompt with my payment, and there was never a situation where I refused or delayed payment. In other words, I was a perfect mug.

I can only guess that he's realised the mistake he's made, and can't be arsed to come back to take the floor up, fix, re-tile etc - why else would he ignore my calls?! I'd love to pay him the outstanding amount for him to put it right...

I don't blame the 2nd plumber - he basically dismantled my boiler checking stuff, but without getting to the underfloor pipes there was nothing he could do to actually fix, and I couldn't afford any more of his time...

Perhaps a letter to your builder (by Recorded Delivery) requesting that he return to correct the problem may be of use. Advise him that, if he has not done so within a reasonable time span (say 14 days) you will be employing others to correct the situation and will be seeking payment from him for the works involved by Court proceedings if necessary.

Probably not much help just before Christmas but you have to give him the chance to rectify the situation before you take action.

By employing A.N.Other to sort the problem you are putting yourself in a "no-win" position.

Thanks Giblets, that's a good idea.

I've never done this before though and really don't want to go down this route, but I guess I don't have a choice.

Meanwhile, I'll continue shivering...!

Sponsored Links
I would go to the nearest rad to the boiler.Turn both valves off,undo at rad tail,then get a bowl and open valve up and see if it comes through,and do the other side ,it must be something before the first rad as even if the pipe was blocked after the first tee's for the rad it would circulate and heat up that rad.I had one were i fitted a full system,fired up,and no heat,overheat after a minute,i found the proplem,as i felt were it got hot upto and cut it and there was a binbag jammed in the pipe,so tell me the full story ,what it does exactly

Alan M, I think that is pretty much what is happening.
When I switch from hot water only to heating & hot water, the boiler fires up for a bit, then shuts off.

This is what the plumber reported...thanks for your help:

No central heating. Found Alpha Ocean Combination boiler with 3 bar showing on gauge, filling valve left open. (Think that was me messing around).

Tried to vent radiators - not possible. Drained off excess pressure with Aqua Vac, checked filling loop & check valve - operating correctly.

Disconnected flow + return from boiler, disconnected hallway radiator, removed valves, used Aqua Va to determine blockage / problem, found to have no suction on either connection. Re-connected & pressurised boiler, no water present at radiator valves.

Have suggested re-pipe flow & return...

Alan M (II), that's it - plumber said there's either a valve (for whatever reason) or a blockage in the pipe feeding the first radiator.

Problem is that the pipes run from the boiler, down the wall, under the kitchen floor to the first radiator, so no way to check without taking up the kitchen floor...?

Have you opend the kitchen rad valves and tested there for pressure,make sure you open them and let them go into a bowl,so you will know if the right hand valve has pressure but the l/hand hasnt then its from the boiler to there,close all the other valves,so it cant be flowing back ,

It must be valves turned off,because a bloxckage shouldnt stop every bit of water getting through and with 3 bar there must be line valves turned off or it would let some through

That's exactly what the plumber thought...

Reckon the builder shut a valve and forgot to open it before putting the floor down in the kitchen...d'oh.

Thanks for the second opinion...

Ring him and say "can you come andcollect your money your owed,i wont be in but my neighbour will be here ,she is going to be here fitting new curtain's "and when he knock's tie him up and get a gimp suit on and do a pulp fiction on him,he will soon fix your heating with a dog lease round his neck and 2 big black men waiting to give him a blockage ,see how he likes it when hes all full and needs his pipe clear

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back