Builder wont sign a contract for job

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all!

I need some advice, here goes...

We bought an old house in Dec which needs renovating and before we even start on the kitchen and bathroom we need some demolition and construction of a number of walls, the main one being the load-bearing kitchen-diner wall which is coming out.

We're trying to do things by the book so we've got structural calcs and paying attention to building regs etc.

I've gone through 6 builders already and its getting a bit tedious. Three of them never even bothered to quote after visiting and seeing the work, another was overpriced and seemed under-confident, one became impossible to contact after we agreed to go ahead as his price was good and he seemed capable of doing the work and the last one refuses to sign a contract and says in 20 years he's never been asked for one.

The job is worth approx 7-8k but no one seems interested. Are we really asking too much to get something down on paper or is there so much work out there they can pick and choose the jobs.

The missus shouted at me earlier for the lengthy delays we've had already due to time wasters and I haven't told her yet the last guy just emailed to say he isn't interested either.

Any advice before I just go ahead and start smashing the place up myself? :mad: I can't believe its so difficult to find a competent, committed builder. Thanks in advance. :mrgreen:

Sponsored Links
I don't know if its worth mentioning but we found the first builder through a trade contact, the next 4 through the FMB website (wont go there again) and the last one through ratedpeople.com but they aren't looking much better at the moment.

Maybe you're giving off bad vibes? They think you wont pay, or will be fussy, unreasonable, or obstructive. I don't think there's a surplus of work, but tradesmen will body swerve a problem customer every time.

Sponsored Links
Hi all!

I need some advice,

For starters, it sounds like a bit of a crap job for a builder. Most don't like awkward refurb work and others are just not good at internal structural work - especially if the place is occupied.

It's sort of last resort work, or price high in case they get the job.

If on your travels you see building work going on, and especially if you have seen how it has progressed, then stop and get them to quote. And also chat to the owner to see how the builders have performed.

Or ask the local council if they have some sort of approved list of vetted firms

heeelllooo and welcome Tayjen :D :D :D

The job is worth approx 7-8k

is that your estimate or someone else that has placed an unrealistic costing on the job ??

Friends and family recommendations are better than any register or association //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1599295#1599295[/QUOTE]

Good read, thanks given.

A colleague at work who's husband is a builder* said the FMB is no guarantee of anything and the builders who we got through that were highly varied in capability and confidence, so I agree with some of the observations in that thread.

*Unfortunately, although he sounds like the perfect chap for the job he's booked up for 2 years.

Maybe you're giving off bad vibes? They think you wont pay, .

Which is exactly the reason why they would want to sign a formal contract isn't it?

You'd think, would't you?

The last builder did mention he would rather do the work and get paid at the end rather than sign a contract.

I'm nervous about giving someone I don't know the keys to my house without having something in writing that he's going to pay for anything he accidentally breaks, but my neighbour has said agreeing payment after the work is a decent guarantee in itself. Am I asking too much with a contract?

Hi all!

I need some advice,

For starters, it sounds like a bit of a crap job for a builder. Most don't like awkward refurb work and others are just not good at internal structural work - especially if the place is occupied.

It's sort of last resort work, or price high in case they get the job.

If on your travels you see building work going on, and especially if you have seen how it has progressed, then stop and get them to quote. And also chat to the owner to see how the builders have performed.

Or ask the local council if they have some sort of approved list of vetted firms

For the price of a car, I'd have thought someone would take it seriously. Last night I ended up asking a neighbour who had similar work done for their builder's details but it was so long ago he doesn't have them to hand.

I then posted my concerns on facebook and a friend who works as a builder's muscle came through with his guy's number. Hopefully one of these leads will pay off.

Whereabouts in Bucks are you? I know a couple of good builders, dunno how busy they are mind you.

Sponsored Links
Back