Builders Extras on single storey extension

The building regs man couldn't care less as to the size of the extension or even if you have planning permission for it... they are only interested if it's built to a safe standard...

I hope you / your builder put in an amendment to your planning permission for the increased size of the extension!!!

As for the cost of the work it seems a little high, but not by a massive amount! it would depend on where you live!

I would say that with any building project any extras/additions should be agreed in writing (inc costs) before work on those additions is started

Sponsored Links
Thats the problem, we just got a big surprise 7 weeks in. The foot print of the building hasn't suddenly got larger this week than it did at the start and they've only just chosen to let us know the cost.
We are in Hampshire.

After a restless night sleep and lots of relaxant (vino) I just had my meeting with the company MD.

I think I feel slightly better about things as he apologised a lot for lack of communication and said it was their fault. We went thru it all point by point and removed a lot and will get a re-quote on everything else.
I've listed the changes below and hopefully something more reasonable will be presented next week. It appears the youngest child might be able to stay.

Renew existing drain chamber - £250 - no charge
Extra drilling of steel supports - £350 - need to check with architest to see if it was needed
Board/skim existing dining room kitchen ceilings £500 requote
Board/skim exterior wall of diner to make up for cavity size £250 requote
Extra size of extension - £1500 (apparently 450mm larger than plan) no charge
Electrics all to be requoted
Downlighters 10 £450
Downlighters 12 £480
Remote dimmer £135
8 double sockets £500
Replace smoke detector to hall and fit to kitchen £250
New consumer unit £650 (do I need one ?)
Plumbing £1750 ...
outside tap - fridge feed to be requoted
rerun mains to new sink point no charge
cap off old gas pipe - no rerun needed no charge
run new services and waste no charge/requote

well done, but you should now be on your guard. it sounds like you have a good line of communication with them, but you need to make sure you keep a careful eye on things.

Sponsored Links
I've never heard of an extension clocking up 50% in extras before, even if the extra 2 bricks worth is charged @ £750/brick :rolleyes:
What strikes me is the immediate back tracking when you queried the price!
How can you justify charging for an item and then not when challenged??
Seems like they were trying it on a bit.

Exactly, a little old lady (or someone with wads of dosh) would probably just have paid up as per the bill. Sharp practice at least.

Hi,

Just to finish this off now as I'm sure you were all desperate to know how it all turned out. If you don't want to read to the end, the extra total was £2000.

The second quote came thru better with a lot of stuff gone. Here is the latest

Renew existing drain chamber - £250 down to £150
Extra drilling of steel supports - £350 down to £0
Board/skim existing dining room kitchen ceilings £500 down to £150
Board/skim exterior wall of diner to make up for cavity size £250 down to £100
Extra size of extension - £1500 (apparently 450mm larger than plan) no charge - down to £0
Electrics all to be requoted
Downlighters 10 £450 down to £350
Downlighters 12 £480 down to £360
Remote dimmer £135 same
8 double sockets £500 - down to £350
Replace smoke detector to hall and fit to kitchen £250 - not needed
New consumer unit £650 (do I need one ?) down to £200 - smal unit
Plumbing £1750 ... down to £250 - second fix will be done by someone else
outside tap - fridge feed to be requoted - see above £50
rerun mains to new sink point no charge - £0
cap off old gas pipe - no rerun needed no charge £0
run new services and waste no charge/requote £0

So, £350 for building extras, £250 for plumbing and £1395 for electrics
Rounded up quite generously by me to £2000 (cash in brown envelope)

I am so pleased its all over now and I can breathe easier and I thank all respondents on here that convinced me to question these charges.

Our extension is pretty much complete now and I ordered a new kitchen today (thats a whole different story, but if you want the low down on who is doing good deals then just ask - Wickes, B&Q, Howdens and Homebase will bite your arm of at the moment and Howdens discounted by as much as 90% on some items).

Over and out
Timmo

glad it all worked out ok, be intrested to know how they justified the differences !

Good result. The right result.

If there is one thing i nail down before commencing any job it is the issue of extras and the transparency required when dealing with any extras.

I explain the hourly rates and immediately state when building control have enforced an extra or make the customer aware when they ask for work to be done that was not in the quote.

This highlights the need for a detailed drawing and the importance of such. If a builder agrees to carry out work compliant with the drawing supplied then both parties have a comparative reference.

Incidentally, it must be the very latest drawing, complete with any amendments, conditions or enforcements.

most of the problems seem to occur where the client, in their wisdom do not employ an architect but use a technician to get through planning...
there is no details of finishing or anything with bathrooms and tiles etc.

the client gets carried away asking for a wet room and the best tiles and fittings but then will complain of the cost at the end of the job....

rogue clients i believe...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back