Builders materials damaged our car during the heavy wind

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My next door neighbour is having a roof extension and on thursday night there was a heavy wind which blew the 8'x4' plywood of the scaffolding which was banging all night and hit the side & dented the Astra van which belong to my son. Also a few broken roof tiles on my front running.

I have kept the plywood for evidence and will be seeing the builder tomorrow at 8am after a lot of ducking & diving of meeting him.

Would I assume this will be under his public liability insurance? He's trying very hard to get out of it, where do we stand with this and would this be a police matter?

Is it law that tradesman must have a public liability insurance?

Sponsored Links
It is not law that tradesmen have to have PL insurance, but they would have to be daft not to :eek:

Don't know if the police would be interested. They don't really want to know about anything these days except speeding motorists.

If builder gets awkward I would have thought telling him that you will get the HSE in would bother him more, as his site seems to have been left unsafe.

They have the power to take him to court.

Personally I can't see what all his fuss is about. I would get the van repaired for you then claim off my PLI.

Bet he hasn't got any :(

certainly not a police matter. Should be dealt with under his public liability insurance. Failing that your sons insurance company may approach the neighbours household insurance company as its come from their property. If you get on with your neighbour, point it out to them as the last thing they will want is to get drawn into it.

Hse is another one you can mention to him as pointed out.

One of my guys sprayed the side of a parked car with stone chippings when he was using a strimmer. Dealt with it on public liability insurance, thats what it is there for. Took ages for them to sort it out though, even tough we admitted liability etc, so dont hold your breath!

the builder will be liable as he has left the site in a insecure state unsafe whilst we all make mistakes any thing left on a scaffold should be secure
most reputable builders will just pass on insurance details or as i have previously done in the past if damage is not too sevear paid for it as liability insurance is costly and claims no matter how small push up premiums failing all else you still have small claims court so obtain and record all information conversations and take some photographs

Sponsored Links
And breath :LOL:

Between the , and the / is the . button.

Punctuation makes long posts easier to read mate :)

Oh dear :cry:

The builders done a runner and even shut down their website including their phone line after trading for 12 years

This happened after the building inspector condemned their work including 1 RSJ left over costing £600 and about £700 worth of building materials not bring used. All the floorboards got to come up and as the joists are the wrong size, I was working at midnight last night to find the leaking pipe work as they have no water, lucky I found it straight away behind the plasterboards!

What a mess :cry:

Even the roof tiles not completed and it's leaking into their lounge, family of 4 all living in the lounge temporary with 1 young child and a 8 weeks baby :cry: They were recommended by a friend who had an extension done but they now having problem with big cracks in their wall.

Look like I'm going to have pay for the car damaged :cry: I don't see anyway round it or is there? I don't really want to claim off their building insurance as they have got enough problems as it is :cry:

I don't see that claiming off your neighbours insurance does them any harm

I know, it's just bad timing at the moment.

Ps: their website is up and running so maybe they haven't shut it down, copy and paste from their website :rolleyes:
COMPANY SEPERATION

Why use ********, what is it that we can offer as a company that your best friends cousin who's a builder can't, or any other company of that matter.

******** is a small but professional business which small amount of overheads which leads us to compete financially and economically with other companies, enabling us to take part in small contracts with great attitudes, were those others wouldn't feel the job warrants there time and turn them down.

This work we do is our occupation, we our professionals in construction and wouldn't jeopardise the company or reputation in any circumstances. We provide all necessary insurances, guarantee and work certificates, something your best friends cousin might not be able to do, and when things go wrong can cause that uncomfortable situation of confrontation, which then jeopardises relationships. I strongly believe if myself as founder of this company cant work on a project it isn't worth doing because mud sticks, you could do 100 good jobs and 1 bad and your only be remembered for that bad one. When it comes to work on your home or a investment, put it in safe hands weather it be with ourselves or another reputable builder, don't be a victim and end up on rouge traders, chose right.

Obviously mascara ding as builders :oops: :LOL: wouldn't know a decent foundation (cream) from a hole in the ground. when they finished there wasn't a dry eye liner in the house :oops: :oops:

Ok Ok I'll get me coat :LOL:

That sounds like an exellect firm, I need some work doing here, can you let me know their URL Masona?

:LOL:

I will wait until what's happening from next door first

Oh, I really hoped I could get things moving soon. Idon't want to get involved with some fly-by-night outfit, and their approach to customer gives out the right messages. As they have a website, they must want people to know about them.

Sponsored Links
Back