builders opening

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello everyone,

I am trying to figure out how much opening up I can do with my firebox before I start getting into structural support.

I have read a few articles on small stove fitters and they mentioned if bricks are stacked instead of interlocked they might be infill instead of a gather.

Can anyone help with this?

Attachments

• IMG_2600.JPG
    IMG_2600.JPG
    275.2 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_2632 (1)_HEIC.jpg
    IMG_2632 (1)_HEIC.jpg
    300.1 KB · Views: 191
  • IMG_2697 (1)_HEIC.jpg
    IMG_2697 (1)_HEIC.jpg
    301.1 KB · Views: 161
Sponsored Links
Looks all structural to me but then I am not familiar with American buildings.

you cant widen that opening anymore.the flue needs sweeping and smoketesting. yon need the mfrs dimension for your stove and probly a ss flue liner. why not get a proper installer on site to have a look?
is the steel bar lintel present in one photo and missing in the next? you must have some kind of lintel

you cant widen that opening anymore.the flue needs sweeping and smoketesting. yon need the mfrs dimension for your stove and probly a ss flue liner. why not get a proper installer on site to have a look?
is the steel bar lintel present in one photo and missing in the next? you must have some kind of lintel

Okay that’s a good idea. One picture has no lintel because I was still trying to find the builders opening.

Sponsored Links
What sort of opening do you want - a wider or taller one. You can take it higher as long as the throat opens up as well. You can then set the new lintel in, and repoint any dropped bricks afterwards. Widening it will be a bit more tricky, and would require the upper part of the chimney being supported whilst you remove the opening and the wooden frame around it, and then building to the width you want. A wider picture from a bit further back would help.

If the stove can be swept from inside it, then you can use a SS liner, or not, your choice, but that size throat can't be swept from a register plate. What are you doing about a chimney cowel.

you cant widen that opening any more because that chimney is a free standing chimney with stud framing wall on either side. going higher is risky because the corbelling bricks could lose there support.there could be 2or3 storys of freestanding bricks above

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back