Builders' rates

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been given a quote for an extension to be built on the back of my property requiring a semi-skilled builder to do the work. What would be a fair daily rate for this? It involves digging out a foundation, pouring concrete, constructing 2 double skinned walls, installing a skylight window, plasterboarding (no skimming) and tiling.

Sponsored Links
I'm intrigued about the "semi-skilled" builder. Does he do a semi-good job?

Sponsored Links
I've been given a quote for an extension to be built on the back of my property requiring a semi-skilled builder to do the work. What would be a fair daily rate for this? It involves digging out a foundation, pouring concrete, constructing 2 double skinned walls, installing a skylight window, plasterboarding (no skimming) and tiling.

What was the quote the semi skilled guy gave you, why do you want to pay him a daily rate if hes already given you a quote.
A fully skilled builder will cost twice as much.

Fifty quid a day

What's that, for a month a year?

Will he work twice as hard and finish twice as quick if he is paid £100 a day?

If the OP has been given a quote, then a day rate has nothing to do with it so I don't know why he is asking

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies. Yeah, my layman's definition of semi-skilled is someone who can do the jobs listed on an amateur basis - no structural alterations, electrical work, skimming etc. involved. Sorry if that offended all of you highly skilled professional people that do the listed jobs 'fully-skilled'. :)

Anyway, the quote is for a daily rate. Is 150 quid reasonable?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back