Building a Conservatory with brick walls to house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am undergoing a project of mine to build a conservatory with a dwarf wall.

I have a few questions because I will have a cavity wall each side of the conservatory which will be joining to the house.

1. My house currently has pebbledash on it, I have already removed the pebbledash to get a good fixing for the starter brackets. My question is, the pebbledash on the house has always bridged the DPC on the outside but has never been a problem. Do I need to remove it and expose the existing DPC along the house where the conservatory will be?

2. If this needs to be done, should the new floor dpm go up to meet the house dpc I have exposed and also should my new wall dpc also go in and meet the house dpc?

3. I am using a wall starter kit for the cavity walls, do I need to go up the middle of the two brackets with an angle grinder and insert a vertical DPC?

If I have missed out any information anyone requires then let me know and I will reply.

Thanks in advanced!

Sponsored Links
1 and 2 - it depends on how you are finishing the wall internally. Bear in mind that any exposed wall below DPC will potentially be damp, so if you don't want that risk then the conservatory floor should cover the wall up to DPC level. The DPM can be tucked into the main house DPC joint, or run up the wall 300mm or so if this can be hidden by new plasterboard.

3 - technically yes, there should be a vertical DPC up the wall where the new cavity wall and frame will be. But with your rendered wall, the risk of damp moving sideways to the inside of new conservatory is slight, so consider if it is necessary or not. Exposure to wind and rain at that point is a consideration.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back