Building a deck

PE

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Have had a quote from a builder to construct a 22sqm deck in hardwood.
I am happy with price of materials and I am curious as to how long people think this project should take.

A wooden underframe is being constructed taking into account a couple of manholes, onto solid base. balustrades and handrails and three gates are being included, and as i say hardwood (either Balau or Tatajuba) is being used. The deck is slightly irregular shape and is single level.

Opinions please as to build time so I can assess labour costings

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Do you mean he has said, e.g. "1500 for the materials and £50 an hour for as long as it takes"?

That's not a good contract shape because it puts all the risk of his slow working, fag breaks, disappearing on other jobs, etc on your shoulders.

Agreed, get a fixed price for the job, agree timescales before work commences and (if a long/expensive project) pay in stages ... Footings, sub-structure, completion.

Impossible to assess build times and/or cost without seeing plans, terrain and knowing how many guys will be on site ... Decks vary enormously and can't be costed per square metre.

Don't cut costs on the sub-structure unless you want a deck which feels bouncy underfoot, a few more piers and/or more/larger beams can make all the difference for a relatively small extra cost ... Not easy to sort out afterwards ;) I've seen many "professional" decks which look great but feel horrible because all of the effort and £'s have been expended on the visible components at the expense of the sub-structure.

Hi thanks for replies.

No it isn't an hourly rate - he has given me an idea of overall costing just wanted to know roughly how long it would reasonably take one or two people to construct such a deck

Sponsored Links
I know this may sound a little obvious but ...

have you asked the builder? ;)

As I say, square meterage alone doesn't mean a great deal.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back