Building a kitchen island from scratch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys

I have a kitchen/living room on my flat that I want to split. Using a kitchen island or something..

Is it easy to build my own from scratch to keep costs low.? Just using wood etc. I do like DIY so I'm decent with tools. But just need to know how lol.

Anyone ever done anything like this?

Sponsored Links
Hey guys

I have a kitchen/living room on my flat that I want to split. Using a kitchen island or something..

Is it easy to build my own from scratch to keep costs low.? Just using wood etc. I do like DIY so I'm decent with tools. But just need to know how lol.

Anyone ever done anything like this?
Building from scratch unlikely to reduce cost and a massive amount of work compared with ready built units .

Oh not what I wanted to hear lol.

So my next question is where will be a fgoof place to pick reasonably priced ones then ?

Building from scratch unlikely to reduce cost and a massive amount of work compared with ready built units .

Years ago, I decided build my kitchen from scratch using MDF (carcasses and doors). I had extra deep worktops and wanted extra deep units built to custom widths.

I then had to hand paint all of it.

On reflection, it was far more expensive than using off the shelf carcasses, both in terms of materials and labour. The upside was that I was able to have units that fitted the space perfectly.

Sponsored Links
Years ago, I decided build my kitchen from scratch using MDF (carcasses and doors). I had extra deep worktops and wanted extra deep units built to custom widths.

I then had to hand paint all of it.

On reflection, it was far more expensive than using off the shelf carcasses, both in terms of materials and labour. The upside was that I was able to have units that fitted the space perfectly.
And mdf was probably £10-£12 a sheet and now it’s around £40 a sheet .

if its a true island check out the cost off services like gas electric water and sewage as this can be eye watering compared to a small island

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back