Building a level greenhouse base up from hardstanding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning.

I wonder if anyone could advise on a project I'm about to embark on. We have just moved a 7'x5' shed off it's base and are looking to install an 8'5" x 6' 3" greenhouse in the space it occupied.

The whole of the area is over an existing sloping hardstanding. Where the shed was there is a rectangular pit which has raised cemented breeze blocks around the edge making a level base for the shed.

My idea is to first fill the pit by filling up with granular sub base and then topping it up to the level of the breeze blocks with concrete. At the same time I want to raise the level of the hardstanding around the breeze blocks with concrete.

I have two concerns about the plan though if anyone can comment. First, will the new concrete adhere sufficently to the old? And second, as the existing hardstanding isn't level it strikes me that it will be difficult to level off the new concrete.

I may have to go higher than the level of the existing breeze blocks to achieve the length for the new base so I thought one way to achieve a level would be to reach the level of the blocks with the concrete and then top the whole thing off with a self-levelling compound.

How does that sound?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back