building a new gate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
recently moved in to our new house and the current gate has been designed to not be wide enough to let cars down the side of the house, now the posts are 10cm x 10cm and look and feel well in the ground for using. my question is i want to build one gate not 2 like it is the now, what size of battens would i be best building this out of and hinges used to take the weight: length between the posts is 250cm x 187cm height

1y8a.jpg

Sponsored Links
There's a myriad of questions need answers too before, we can give you a definitive answer here.
- What wood, softwood, hardwood etc.
- The design, same as, decorative, open top etc.
- Whether you want to use angle iron as frame, welded or otherwise

Some answer to these above would be good...pinenot :unsure:

There's a myriad of questions need answers too before, we can give you a definitive answer here.
- What wood, softwood, hardwood etc.
- The design, same as, decorative, open top etc.
- Whether you want to use angle iron as frame, welded or otherwise

Some answer to these above would be good...pinenot :unsure:

Ok so same height not bothered about what type of wood,design probably just boards on the other side like it is now, and would rather not use angle iron

I built one from red pine, started with 6 x 2's dressed, that finished after dressing at 5 1/2" x 1 1/2" (134 x 38mm) approx, mortise and tenoned with a mid rail, I rebated the front of the rails to sink red pine lining (available at most timber merchants) un-braced for lightness and hung on 18" heavy steal strap hinges. that was 30 years ago and there still there. Use draw pins to pull the mortise and tenons tight and paint not glue, to assemble. good luck...pinenot :)

Sponsored Links
shouldnt the braces be the other way to stop the gates from sagging?

when i built mine basically the same as pinenot,but i did use poly glue with dowells,then used feathered edged boards on mine.aint mover in 9 years,and never painted :oops:

I built one from red pine, started with 6 x 2's dressed, that finished after dressing at 5 1/2" x 1 1/2" (134 x 38mm) approx, mortise and tenoned with a mid rail, I rebated the front of the rails to sink red pine lining (available at most timber merchants) un-braced for lightness and hung on 18" heavy steal strap hinges. that was 30 years ago and there still there. Use draw pins to pull the mortise and tenons tight and paint not glue, to assemble. good luck...pinenot :)

Do you have a picture pinenot?

shouldnt the braces be the other way to stop the gates from sagging?

when i built mine basically the same as pinenot,but i did use poly glue with dowells,then used feathered edged boards on mine.aint mover in 9 years,and never painted :oops:

Are u talking about my picture ? Thats the original gate when we bought the house its only still there to keep the back garden private

Do you have a picture pinenot?

I don't unfortunately, this was in my house in Anstruther circa mid 80's, but on a recent visit to the town I had an opportunity to meet the new owners and asked if they had had them replaced to which they informed me that they had paid a joiner to convert the single 7 1/2' gate into a pair, which was full circle to what I had replaced in the first place...tubisc...pinenot :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back