Building a summer house- advice please!?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I'd like to build a summer house this spring as a small project and I'm looking for advice.
I've never built one before and have very limited DIY experience. However I'd like t give it a go.

The idea is to do everything ourselves, i.e. not buying pre-made.

Does anyone have any experience/ advice they can offer with this kind of project, and any books they can advise on/ or floor plans?

Warm regards,

N

Sponsored Links
Model it in sketchup (my preference, easy and free).

Timber frame, with the structure clear from the ground.

If you have help pre build the panels on the ground as this will be accurate (making sure foundations or footings are level), this also means you need 2 people to erect it.

Stick build it if doing solo.

Buy second hand doors and windows of fleabay or similar, then you can make openings to fit. You can get some real bargain second hand double glazed units, and sliding doors.

Look at the cost of insulation and types, choose what suits your building and budget. Generally rigid foam is better but more expensive, and allows you to do warm wall construction (google warm wall), or standard fitting between the studs. Mineral wool is cheaper but requires deeper studs.

ok my thought

you will need tools costing £150-£600 for this project
the cost over a ready bought one will be 35-100% more for the same or better quality in other words 135-200% the cost

the cost over a ready bought one will be 35-100% more for the same or better quality in other words 135-200% the cost

Surely it would be cheaper if you are making it as a stud frame, on a like for like basis?

No labour costs (assuming DIY).

Sponsored Links
they buy the wood by the ship load about 50% off what you or i pay
they knock up the panels in a few mins on a jig on production lines

they have reduced the waste to a minimum by getting the exact lengths they want we will be lucky to get less than 10% wastage

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back