building alley way through garage!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Presently we have a public footpath going down our drive way round the side of the house and then up some steps and then on to the field at the back of the house.

We were thinking the garage which is the first part of the house, the back wall is directly linked to the field at the back so was considering splitting the garage down the middle with a wall, knocking an archway through on the back wall and get the footpath diverted through this new alley way. The reminder of the garage initially just put a single door on it and use it as a small store room.

I am asking the rights of way department to see if it would be a goer on that side of things and would require a diversion order etc but just wondered what permission etc would be required on the building front

The reason for doing this is we have dogs which are quite protective and even though the footpath is used about 3 times a year only it is very un-nerving as when they are out we always have to keep an eye out which is far from relaxing. This would give us piece of mind and potentially raise the price of the house as the right of way does cause the price to be devalued and makes selling more difficult

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
If had to buy a proprty with a right of way on it, I would much prefer it went round my house than through it!

My gut feeling is having it go through the house would make it more difficult to sell.

It would be worth discussing the central wall with the local planners and the local BCO.
Just a phone call initially.
In my limited experience BCOs are only too willing to come out for a look-see and tell you yeah or nay. My thinking is that the wall will be alongside a footpath, and the arch will span the same footpath, so BCO may require satisfactory footings, lintels, etc. Otherwise it wouldn't bother them.

Local planners may not bo so amenable, some are, some aren't, but you'll have to press the point to find out if permission will be required. If it's an AOB it might require permission. Also it might be classed as public structure rather than your property.

If you decide to go ahead, it might be worth getting the decisions in writing, even if they're not interested, for any future owner, property searches, etc.

Sponsored Links
If had to buy a proprty with a right of way on it, I would much prefer it went round my house than through it!

My gut feeling is having it go through the house would make it more difficult to sell.

The way the house is set up is it originally was 4 mining cottages in a line (1up 1 down house) attached to the pub. It has been converted into a single house so very long and thin. The present footpath goes in front of all 4 houses which is the driveway down the side, the side is the garden and then through some steps between our outbuildings and then on to field behind. This means the garden is not private and none of the house is.

The garage is the first house of the four where the lower floor is the garage and links to rear of house, making an alley way, we lose half a garage but gain full privacy for the rest of the house.. We could then move the front gate back 3 feet and then the gate onwards is fully private. This would be more selleable in our opinion rather than a footpath going past the full front of house, through the garden and then down the back off house. We have a fully detached garage in the garden along with 3 other out buldings, originally the outside loos so half a garage lost is not a problem.

Once gate moved back three feet, it would look like the alley way is just an alleyway not part of the house but a gap between pub and house.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back