building applications

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
we are about to have a side extension built its a single storey side extension on a semi detached house which we have no neighbours on the side which we are building on and will be under permitted development.

looking at the building regs there are 2 forms
Building Notice Submission form
Full Plans Submission

if we stick to the rules in the permited development shall we go for the building notice form or go for the full plans ?

we want the build to start next week

thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Permitted development has nothing to do with the building regulation application forms you mention

If you have had plans drawn then you submit the full plans application

Otherwise, if you don't have plans, can totally trust the builder to know the building regulations and be able to build it correctly and want to take the risk, then use a building notice form

Either application type will allow you to start after 48 hours notice, but obviously, if you can't submit any plans by next week, then that sort of limits your choice to a building notice application

no proper plans have been done so think will go with the building notice.

going down to the local council tomorrow with a sketch of an extension plan and dimensions to speak to a building control officer so will ask for some advice and if he thinks there will be any problems.

but looking at what extension we want and the permitted planning regs we should be ok if we stick to them.

with the fees for the building regs is the fee and the first visit fee all payed up front ?

You are confusing building regulations with planning permission /permitted development

I think if you show a sketch to a building control officer and ask if there will be any problems, he will either laugh or just look at you blankly

Bear in mind that building control checks what you have built and does not design the thing or tell you how to build. The onus is on you to build a compliant building, if it does not comply when built, you have to alter it

A building notice fee is one payment

Sponsored Links
thanks for the reply

sorry i meant i am to see a planning officer first then building control for the forms afterwards.

the builder is going to build it correctly and so it matches the existing house.
while keeping to the permitted development regs.

our house is a semi detached house, the side were building on we want to go right upto the boundary which means removing some of the fence panel, now the land next to it is owned by the council as its a home for some troubled kids, the land is huge and we are at the far end of it, the builder told me he will have to be on there land for some of the build on the side wall i just hope they dont mind.

Just bear in mind that if the builder does not build correctly then it is you who is responsible.

If the building control officer wants the builder to alter the work, then don't entertain the builder asking you to pay extra for it.

Building notice is a very risky route for you considering that you may not fully understand the process and liabilities. Its OK the builder saying that he will build correctly, but what safeguards do you have if he does not? Building notices frequently ruin friendships and family relations when the "trusted" builder gets things wrong and money is involved

Also ensure that any boundary issues are resolved and the neighbours have given you the necessary permission - if the Party Wall Act is involved, then the council (ie neighbours) may well insist that you serve a proper notice on them

my builder is going to build the extension but i am getting my own electrician, plumber and plasterer in.

would the building control officer check the insides of the extension ?

No, dont rely on the building control officer to check all the work

The BCO will only check a few basic things ( typically foundations, damp proof course, insulation and roof structure) and not the quality or finish of the work

i think we will be ok then the builder is a good one and knows what he is doing fingers crossed lol.

the only issue there may be is the fact that the builder will have to be in the next garden for some of the build.

i think the builder may well just do it then if they moan he will have to build it from the inside.

would the building control officer have any say on the builder being on their land ?

do you know what form it is that i need to ask the neighbouring side ?

thanks

Building control have no remit regarding how the builder works or boundary issues

You need to read up on the Party Wall Act and see if it applies (it may not going by your previous description). But if it does, you are too late now to serve notice anyway.

It may be best to just pop around and explain what you want to do. As it is a kids home, you need to emphasise how you will keep the area safe and secure, and left tidy etc

Or you can just chance it

thanks yes i will do that.

would the BCO say if the extension was not permitted development at anytime.
would he ask what it is we are going to be doing ?

( even though i am 99.9 % sure it is after reading up on the planning portal)

sorry if all my questions seem daft.

No, the BCO is only there to check the the construction is to required standard.

The size, location, design, materials etc are irrelevant to building control as long as the construction meets the regulations ... ie is basically structurally sound and weather tight

You need to state what the extension will be used for on the application form and then the BCO will use this as the basis for his checks.

You just need to ensure that you know what the permitted development size limits are, and that the builder keeps to them. No one will come out and check ... unless a complaint is made. So just make sure that you keep to the PD limits

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back